Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honesty and certainty.
Honesty and certainty.
We can deceive ourselves to know for certain something when we don't. 

What is the way to know? I say sheer honesty is the way to know for sure.

You can say well you have to assess, that is true. But before you will bother to re-asses or asses, you have to be honest to yourself and say "do I really know?".

It's also the same when we know something for certain but we trick ourselves we don't know nor what we should know inside and realize we know and take the mantle of not knowing. We become ignorant of what otherwise we are certain of.

Again, I propose the way out is sheer honesty.

And sheer honesty with sincerity will cause us to search and eventually only hold to firmly what we know for certain.

Now a person might say, there is no certainty, there is just levels of knowledge, levels of justification and levels of non-justification.

Aside from 1+1=2 is a certainty.  I think this is foolish, because shades of grey as possible only because black and white is possible.

Without possibility of certainty, there is no coming close to it. And without possibility of ignorance, there is no coming close to it.

And deception is ok, and forgiven, but not when it's stubborn to the extent it hates the truth it is certain of and becomes rebellious against it.   This is where you crossed the limits, and then right and wrong being irrelevant except as suits the desires of the person.
RE: Honesty and certainty.
Certainty stems from self-bias, which is why it is best to state, "I don't know".

Atheists are not certain that god does not exist, something most theists keep forgetting. Atheists merely lack belief/faith in god(s).
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
No matter what you tell yourself, MK, I don’t believe in god.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
But do you agree with what is stated in this thread.

Let's not discuss God, but just what is in this thread.
(March 30, 2018 at 8:57 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: But do you agree with what is stated in this thread.

I have hardly a clue what you are talking about in this OP because your writing is almost incoherent.  My impression is that you think people are lying to themselves about stuff.  Or something like that.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(March 30, 2018 at 9:00 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 30, 2018 at 8:57 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: But do you agree with what is stated in this thread.

I have hardly a clue what you are talking about in this OP because your writing is almost incoherent.  My impression is that you think people are lying to themselves about stuff.  Or something like that.

I am saying, certainty and honesty go together. When we know something for certain, we do because are honest about it.

So the way to hold to only what is for certain, is through sheer honesty to oneself and others.
(March 30, 2018 at 9:03 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 30, 2018 at 9:00 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I have hardly a clue what you are talking about in this OP because your writing is almost incoherent.  My impression is that you think people are lying to themselves about stuff.  Or something like that.

I am saying, certainty and honesty go together. When we know something for certain, we do because are honest about it.

So the way to hold to only what is for certain, is through sheer honesty to oneself and others.

Sure, generally speaking it is in our best interest to be honest with ourselves.  Is that idea meant to be controversial?

(March 30, 2018 at 10:23 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 30, 2018 at 9:03 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I am saying, certainty and honesty go together. When we know something for certain, we do because are honest about it.

Sure, generally speaking it is in our best interest to be honest with ourselves.  Is that idea meant to be controversial?

Ok. So we agree. Topic done. Tongue
(March 30, 2018 at 10:34 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 30, 2018 at 10:23 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Sure, generally speaking it is in our best interest to be honest with ourselves.  Is that idea meant to be controversial?

Ok. So we agree. Topic done. Tongue

Lol, why didn’t you just say that in the OP?!

(March 30, 2018 at 11:07 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 30, 2018 at 10:34 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Ok. So we agree. Topic done. Tongue

Lol, why didn’t you just say that in the OP?!

*smiles*

In the past, I said the same thing, but everyone said honesty and true knowledge were unrelated and had nothing to do with each other.

To be certain and know you are, you have to be honest to yourself.

I'm glad we agreed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3287 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 944 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Prove honesty is virtuous! Mystic 15 1603 May 30, 2018 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Belief and Certainty FreeTony 6 1790 September 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Jenny A