Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism
RE: Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism
I'm going to "more agree" with the OP.

To believe something is to accept a truth claim to the degree that it affects one's actions or view of reality.  The confidence level of a belief has a low correlation with whether the belief affects your actions or view of reality.

If I believe that Jesus saves my sins, I may not necessarily believe that Christianity is all true.  However, believing this dogma means that I will likely go to church, do a bible study, or think about the afterlife.

I may have an extremely low evidence level for this belief, but it doesn't matter if the belief affects my life.  I believe or I don't.  One can't go around half-believing one is going to be saved, and change one's mind every other Tuesday.

Religious beliefs are usually gained through emotion, not through reason.  The claimed high confidence of a believer is usually a smoke screen for the fact that they are scared of their belief not being true (you mean I won't meet Grandma when I die?).  Most believers don't have high confidence, yet they choose to act and live as if they do.  The cognitive dissonance is crazy, but confidence is not belief.

Many atheists treat belief and knowledge as two different dimensional axes (belief vs. knowledge, with belief being mostly binary and knowledge dealing with confidence-level and evidence).  

Dawkins introduced the spectrum of belief-level from 1 to 7 (1 being high).  Frankly, I don't like that scale.  It seems to me that it doesn't measure belief.  Wikipedia says:

Quote:the spectrum of theistic probability is a way of categorizing one's belief regarding the probability of the existence of a deity.

Belief and knowledge may be correlated, but not enough to call them the same thing.  An agnostic is not someone who is on-the-fence about whether they believe or disbelieve in a god.  It is someone who realizes the limits to knowledge about the question.  They may or may not choose to believe, for reasons other than knowledge.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism - by HappySkeptic - October 6, 2022 at 5:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Agnosticism LinuxGal 5 901 January 2, 2023 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2011 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2270 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position R00tKiT 575 43360 March 18, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1574 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  What is Ignosticism? vulcanlogician 53 6350 October 9, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 26402 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13400 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27853 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Occam's Razor, atheism, theism and polytheism. Jehanne 74 17339 February 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic