Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2026, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Self-Rejection, Self-Sacrifice, Self-Denial VS Egoism, Earthly Pleasures, Hedonism
#20
RE: Self-Rejection, Self-Sacrifice, Self-Denial VS Egoism, Earthly Pleasures, Hedonism
(February 26, 2025 at 9:28 am)AB Caro Wrote: As for the ascetics, is it even possible to be a secular (NEITHER spiritual NOR religious) ascetic? Because the pleasure most of them talk about is always something spiritual/religious in nature. Or if we stretch the definition of “spiritual” to something like “Mark Green’s Atheopaganism” which is just “awe” for natural occurences, now that makes sense.

You're right that "ascetic" is normally a religious thing. I think we could avoid this by just talking about "living consciously," or "getting rid of the things we don't need." 

So I agree with you that much of what we want is what society tells us we should want. It takes time and conscious thought to work out what we really ought to focus on.

I'd never heard of Mark Green's Atheopaganism before, but I've done a little Googling. I can see how that would appeal to some people. Certain kinds of rituals or practices can enhance our awareness and appreciation, and don't really need to be rooted in concepts of the divine. For example the tea ceremony in Japan has Buddhist roots, but a person wouldn't have to accept all the metaphysics of Buddhism to benefit from it. A pause for calm aesthetic appreciation improves one's life. 

I just bought a house that's literally on top of a mountain, and I've been thinking about how I want to live here. I foresee a lot of gardening in my future, and I hope to do this in a conscious, appreciative manner. Not quite ritual, but with that kind of awareness.

So I think it's important to work on these ideas of social influence vs. what is really good for us. I see, though, that the people who run this forum don't approve of your posts, so we're not going to be able to do the work here. I hope that you find serious people to talk with. Good luck!
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Self-Rejection, Self-Sacrifice, Self-Denial VS Egoism, Earthly Pleasures, Hedonism - by Belacqua - February 26, 2025 at 7:36 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there other paradoxes analogous to the so-called "Paradox of Hedonism"? Porcupine 4 1577 July 17, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 8939 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My new support for hedonism Transcended Dimensions 28 7920 March 17, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 2315 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 41487 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? Ignorant 69 21805 May 26, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Does a "True Self" Exist? Salacious B. Crumb 68 27265 July 17, 2015 at 6:11 am
Last Post: chasbanner
  Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths Mudhammam 4 2630 July 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 5963 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Would you do this sacrifice? Mystic 36 11756 December 3, 2014 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)