Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 9:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
(May 17, 2013 at 7:07 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Humans are different. Other animals don't have the intelligence and awareness that we have. They can feel pain and suffer, but it's not like a person suffering.
That's what you want to believe, but neuroscience tells us that animals show the same neuro-activity when painful stimuli arrive in the brain than humans do. Until you show where the difference is, this argument merely shows what you want to believe.

(May 17, 2013 at 7:07 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: They only know "I'm hungry", "I'm tired", "I'm horny", and "That hurts." They don't think.
They don't know they even exist. They're just there, reacting to their reflexes and instincts. Nothing else.
Again, this is simply a prejudiced assertion based on no evidence what so ever. Its the same kind of thinking that brought people to all kinds of wrong actions, like slavery ("blacks are simply inferior" is basically what you're today saying about animals).

(May 17, 2013 at 7:57 am)Sal Wrote:
(May 17, 2013 at 3:35 am)littleendian Wrote: This is not a justification. Other's cruelty can never excuse our own.
Then people that buy factory meat from a grocery store are excused. They didn't kill the animals that constitutes those meat products.
The moral realm doesn't only extend to our own direct physical actions but also to the actions we condone or support with our choices of consumption. Paying someone else to kill is no more moral than killing yourself. Stalin was responsible for the people who died in his gulags even though, as far as I know, he never killed anyone himself.

(May 17, 2013 at 3:35 am)littleendian Wrote: We can minimize the suffering we ourself cause, yes we can.
A pipe-dream, if I ever saw one. Very unrealistic. Problem is that we cannot control how others behave, is why I think it's a pipe-dream.
No, not a pipe dream. You can either go around raping and pillaging or you can join a charitable organization and help others in need, you must see that there is a difference in the amount of suffering caused. We control how others behave by our example, its completely intuitive, we follow those whose actions we admire, we imitate them and we change. It's easy to say "but I'm only one person, what difference does my action make", but even if only you yourself change this does make a difference for your own actions and it will affect others actions eventually. Many of the good changes in history came about not by revolution but by individuals taking baby steps.

(May 17, 2013 at 3:35 am)littleendian Wrote: I'd rather live free and in danger than a prisoner without great hopes or fears, my destiny set from the word go, to be killed in prime of life (old animals don't taste well).
That's anthropomorphizing on a grand scale. Animals don't know they're prisoners in the same sense humans know it.
This argument can easily be turned around: A human prisoner of war for example can endure his prison stay because he has reason and knows that he will be free after the war. An animal has no such capacity, therefore its suffering will be greater since it cannot follow its instincts and move freely.
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.

Messages In This Thread
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat? - by littleendian - May 18, 2013 at 6:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3311 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2684 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4393 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10686 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is Human Reproduction Un-Ethical? Brometheus 45 7499 April 6, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Suicide: An Ethical Delimna LivingNumbers6.626 108 16288 December 27, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 165837 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead
  Hume's Guillotine sets up an ethical regress problem Coffee Jesus 8 3016 April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 37369 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Ethical Philosophy Selector leo-rcc 36 11301 December 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Ubermensch