Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 22, 2024, 7:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone else here not pro life for the sake of being pro life?
RE: anyone else here not pro life for the sake of being pro life?
(November 13, 2013 at 12:07 am)leodeo Wrote: I think under circumstances suicide should be acceptable.
For example if I was paralyzed I wouldn't want to live just because everyone who isn't paralyzed tells me I'm coward if I die, its easy for them to be so pro life when they have healthy bodies.
I really hated in my old Christian communities how they were so pro life for the sake of their morals rather than caring about how Much a person is suffering.

Agreed.

leodeo Wrote:What is the atheist stance on suicide/euthanasia?
So how do we feel about euthanasia?

There is no "we." Atheists don't believe in god(s). That is all. Simply ask the question, "How do you as a person feel about suicide/euthanasia?" Atheism has absolutely nothing to do with it.

(November 13, 2013 at 4:23 am)GodsRevolt Wrote: Are you kidding?

I see atheists argue against the "social construct of long ago religions" and all of the traditions that they entail and then you bring up traditions created by societies long ago to DEFEND suicide? As if suicide has some sort of "reason" behind it?

Defending suicide is the ultimate admittance that life has no meaning,

No its not. Not at all actually. If I chose to defend suicide for my 80 year old grandfather with pancreatic cancer that has absolutely nothing to do with me feeling that life has no meaning. Even if I defend a 20 year old man's right to kill himself because he got his dick blown off by an IED, I'm STILL not admitting that life has no meaning for ME. The meaning of life is subjective to each person and you are by no means an authority on what the meaning in my life or anyone elses actually is.

GR Wrote:which is the biggest flaw in the Atheist arsenal. The idea that because you cannot come up with a reason to live tomorrow means that you might as well kill yourself tonight holds no ground in the argument FOR humanity. Forget reason and logic, those two old and cold biddies yelling at the children to get off of their lawns, humanity wants life, all kinds of it, the happy life, sad life, the poetic life, the boring life, the romantic life, the awkward life, the atheist life, the believers life, the full life, the might-have-been life.

Struggle is growth, struggle is heroic, struggle is what makes women strong and men beautiful. Imagine if your birth happened with no pain or struggle or fear, all you would be is a pretty nice shit. But we are more than that in every way, because we question and observe, we seek beauty in truth and truth in beauty and struggle to grasp both. We look for the the beast in the maze despite all the "Beware Ye Who Enter" warnings and fight the piece of shit with all we got, whatever that may be. Life is climbing Rapunzel's hair and laughing when you get to the top because the doors are locked and you two have all night before the witch gets back, but it doesn't happen without the DAMN CLIMB!

Inspirational speeches aside, your rant still does not address the point. Some people have nothing left to make the climb, and universal answers for such difficult questions never work. Is suicide often the answer? No, I don't think so either, but to just assume that everyone has the ability to struggle through and find a happy ending is a small-minded notion. There is a level of suffering that no living thing should have to endure, and I believe that that level may vary greatly from person to person.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: anyone else here not pro life for the sake of being pro life? - by Cinjin - November 13, 2013 at 10:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3258 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence? Astonished 67 9738 July 20, 2023 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 4264 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
  Anyone see gods not dead? Thegoodatheist 76 30296 March 13, 2021 at 11:07 am
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1479 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2206 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Anyone here a Category 7? Jehanne 159 15182 October 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Dr H
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3290 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Pro-Life Atheists KristinNirvana 84 14339 July 25, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: LadyAmaltheaMoon
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4391 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity