Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
RE: what are we supposed to
(June 6, 2014 at 5:03 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: It did cite primary research. You obviously have not viewed the footnotes.

Nope, you cited Wikipedia which is a tertiary source that disallows the citation of primary research. You need to read their user policy.

Quote: You are wrong, and cannot support that assertion, yet you keep throwing out there.

Have you not been reading this thread? Every atheistic attempt to define morality in a logically cogent and defensible manner fails horribly. That is support.

Quote: Lots of societies do not believe in the Christian God. Those societies also have moral codes. Are you really this ignorant, and proud of it too, wally?

You’re conflating belief with ontology. If I do not believe in the existence of gravity does that mean I can jump and never come down? If I do not believe in death does that mean I will never experience it? Whether or not someone believes god exists is irrelevant. God still has to exist in order for morality to exist.

Quote: I am living proof that you're wrong.

No, you’re inability to logically define morality is some of the best evidence I have and for that I thank you.

Quote: Your morality includes the murder of children, rape of women, and keeping of slaves as moral. That's not morality, it's barbarism.

No it does not. If God does not exist why would murder, rape, and infanticide be morally wrong?

Quote:
You're a sick man, you know that?

Why? Because I value rationality more than you do? Then guilty as charged.

Quote: Your bible was used to justify those acts.

As was Darwinism so your point is? Were those acts morally wrong if God does not exist?

Quote: If Christians get their morality from God and The Bible, is that why they can't stop raping kids?

If God does not exist then why is raping children morally wrong? You really cannot answer these simple questions?

Quote: I know this because your Biblical morality does not prevent it, and you have stated morality can only come from God and the Bible.

No, that’s not what I said. The God of scripture must exist in order for morality to exist.

Quote: Isn't it time to stop, Wally? As a secular person, I'm begging you: Stop raping little children. You're scarring them for the rest of their lives. If you can't stop, you need secular help for your urges.

If God does not exist then why is raping children morally wrong? I thought morality was subjective. It’s hilarious you cannot answer such a simple question.

Quote: By the way, these page-long Gish gallops are really tiresome.

Then stop replying, it’s obvious you’ve been beaten for quite some time now Mr. IQ.

Duck! Goose! Swan! Excuse my fowl language.

(June 6, 2014 at 5:08 pm)Irrational Wrote: No, I wasn't arguing that. I don't see how you have failed at understanding the point I was making. A very simple point, mind you. Or was this supposed cluelessness a tactic you just employed to run away from the point I was making?

Correct me if I am wrong but did you not say that Christian morality is subjective because they have to appeal to their reasoning? How does using logical discernment make something subjective? Or was that nothing more than rhetorical fluff?

Quote:I haven't seen one do that yet. Can you demonstrate to us what sort of killing objectively constitutes murder? Is slaughtering babies, for example, considered murder?

Sure, murder is any killing of another person that violates God’s decreed will.

Messages In This Thread
What I say is - by Zidneya - May 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Reply to Statler Waldorf - by CharnelRC - May 14, 2014 at 5:30 am
RE: what are we supposed... - by Statler Waldorf - May 16, 2014 at 6:12 pm
RE: what are we supposed - by Statler Waldorf - June 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say - by Statler Waldorf - June 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say - by Statler Waldorf - June 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm
RE: what are we supposed to - by Statler Waldorf - June 6, 2014 at 6:36 pm
RE: what are we supposed to - by Statler Waldorf - June 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say again - by Zack - June 11, 2014 at 3:46 pm
RE: what are we supposed to - by Statler Waldorf - June 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say - by CindysRain - June 20, 2014 at 6:23 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say... - by naimless - June 26, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1382 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Morality Kingpin 101 5960 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1488 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6698 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 9356 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2416 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Morality Agnostico 337 38442 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11587 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4250 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 23947 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1