Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 1:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a homosexual question and incest question?
RE: I have a homosexual question and incest question?
(July 5, 2014 at 2:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: At some level most of our moral decisions are like this. They are based on emotions. They we look for reasons whether rational or religious.

This reminds me of arguments against meat-eating based on empathy. We have empathy for creatures with awareness, and that's a good thing, as it prevents us treating other humans cruelly without remorse. But there's some question as to whether those feelings of empathy should be sanctioned when they are extended beyond the obvious role of protecting fellow humans. So we may want to encourage broad empathy for the positive effect it has on the way humans treat each other, and just accept any possible "over-extension" of that empathy beyond the human sphere by extending rights to animals, even if doing so is something of a moral accident.

Similarly, we want to discourage incest because of its negative effects "in general," and we've evolved feelings which support that goal as a consequence of evolution. Should we attempt to fine-tune the application of those moral intuitions as in the cases given above, or should we opt for uniformity to keep the moral intuition against incest strong and inviolate? Should we accept a few "useless applications" of rules that are generally good, or should we seek to make exceptions to the rule in cases of clear misapplication?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I have a homosexual question and incest question? - by Angrboda - July 5, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question I have about Japanese cartoons Alexmahone 10 954 January 7, 2018 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Incest and children. IanHulett 32 5676 July 5, 2016 at 8:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Homosexual Activity Gooders1002 0 743 March 10, 2013 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Have you ever tried to debate Christians that have no clue? Dean-o 39 8802 June 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Incest? Spectrum 21 4775 October 26, 2010 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  I have a better question, Xbox 360 or PS3? leo-rcc 49 13789 November 16, 2009 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  I have a question, Mac or PC? binny 83 18554 November 4, 2009 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Tiberius