Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a question, Mac or PC?
I have a question, Mac or PC?
Right now I do most of my work on my Mac. I also run Parallels for a couple of slide show programs that I feel I need for my business because the slide show programs for Mac suck big ones. I would like to get a laptop so I can take it to clients homes and have them preview their photos there so they don't have to make the trip to my studio. I think that would be good for people who have babies. Now Macbook pros start at 1699 for a 15 inch. A 17 inch is, AHHHH, 2499. Now if I go with a PC I need a quality display then there is the problem of getting the photos from one computer to the other. They really don't communicate well together. And we have a computer upstairs that runs Vista. I'm not feeling the love with that one. Anyway I just want to know what you guys think. Should I go with a Mac or a PC?
binnyCoffee
RE: I have a question, Mac or PC?
(October 17, 2009 at 11:18 am)binny Wrote: Right now I do most of my work on my Mac. I also run Parallels for a couple of slide show programs that I feel I need for my business because the slide show programs for Mac suck big ones. I would like to get a laptop so I can take it to clients homes and have them preview their photos there so they don't have to make the trip to my studio. I think that would be good for people who have babies. Now Macbook pros start at 1699 for a 15 inch. A 17 inch is, AHHHH, 2499. Now if I go with a PC I need a quality display then there is the problem of getting the photos from one computer to the other. They really don't communicate well together. And we have a computer upstairs that runs Vista. I'm not feeling the love with that one. Anyway I just want to know what you guys think. Should I go with a Mac or a PC?

PC!

You save money on hardware
You open yourself up to a much wider application base
Support and repair is far less expensive
There is a patch to fix windows Vista, i believe they call it 7 Smile
If you don't like windows you can install OSX on the PC
Install OSX on a PC? I've never heard of such a thing. Interesting.
binnyCoffee
(October 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm)binny Wrote: Install OSX on a PC? I've never heard of such a thing. Interesting.

And surprisingly easy, but why shouldn't it be, Macs (post PPC) ARE PCs, from the intel chips to the ATI graphics, you're basically paying bundles more for a brand.
Forgive me for being kinda dumb, but I can buy an intel PC and install OSX on it and it will work? Just like my iMac now? And I'm just learning about this?
Does this mean I can do that on my HP upstairs???
Holy shit!
binnyCoffee
(October 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm)binny Wrote: Forgive me for being kinda dumb, but I can buy an intel PC and install OSX on it and it will work? Just like my iMac now? And I'm just learning about this?

Not quite that simple Smile But it's a very step-by-step process and easy to achieve.

Basically it involves downloading an ISO and burning it to a disk, then booting your computer from the disk and into the installer.

A few sites of interest:

http://osx86install.blogspot.com/
http://www.hackint0sh.org/
http://www.osx86project.org/
http://www.insanelymac.com/

And specifically:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index....ion_Guides

The only reason you can't chuck the real DVD into your machine and install it right now is because apple doesn't want you to.
I can see why apple wouldn't want you to. Then who would fork over the big money for the over priced macs? I wonder if this is something I would be capable of doing. If I have a problem with my computer I usually try to figure out how to fix it myself, but I'm not sure if my brain can handle doing that. I guess I'm going to be doing a lot of reading this weekend.
binnyCoffee
The hardware on a MacBook is really good, that's why the price is so high. I bought the 13 inch MacBook Pro which is probably the best in terms of value for money. The problem with installing OSX on another notebook is that it won't tie to the hardware properly. It might be a pain to set up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Terrific! Big Grin
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
If you want to work with graphics, macs are clearly the better way to go, due to their resolutions. However, if you just want a computer for average activity, either works fine IMO. With a mac, as you said, you obviously pay more, but it really depends on what you desire at the end of the day.

It's a matter of personal opinion, really. Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help! If You Hsbr sn iPhone, iPad, iPod or Mac Please Do Me a Favor Rhondazvous 2 480 April 17, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  A question I have about Japanese cartoons Alexmahone 10 895 January 7, 2018 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Mac and Cheese a WMD ?? vorlon13 13 1854 April 28, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8684 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  Do you like Mac or PC or both ShinobiAtheist 25 2937 December 27, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Rahul
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17258 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Have you ever tried to debate Christians that have no clue? Dean-o 39 8617 June 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  I have a better question, Xbox 360 or PS3? leo-rcc 49 13532 November 16, 2009 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Mac vs Windows vs Linux vs Other Tiberius 19 6325 October 28, 2009 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13