Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 24, 2024, 3:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
(July 27, 2014 at 5:04 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(July 27, 2014 at 10:37 am)bennyboy Wrote: The problem with mind is that it is "extra" if it is assumed to be a representation of brain function and nothing more. It's easy to see why a brain would develop the ability to process information from its environment and produce behaviors that would promote the promulgation of its DNA. It's easy to see why the human body would cry to relieve tension, or sigh in relief. It's not at all easy to see why any of these (purely mechanical) processes need the body to be a sentient agent with actual experience of qualia. Why evolve such a wondrous property when in theory a "dead" mechanical system should perform all the same functions?

Sense data and its interpretation is a pretty common life function and also seems to lie at the very heart of what we experience as qualia and consciousness. From there, it doesn't seem too great a leap to see self awareness, strategic planning, cooperation and communication as adaptions. It isn't a slam dunk and you're certainly welcome to go on thinking qualia is something seeded into the universe by a galactic entity with qualities beyond our imagining. But I'm not tempted to follow you.

The only quality of consciousness which you might think still qualifies as a mysterious extra could be sapience and what seems to be an ability to reflect and change course consciously against what otherwise might be our immediate inclination. But even that would have obvious survival value and seemingly just an accentuation of other features of being a creature with perceptual, cognitive awareness.
Yes, but there's awareness as a function, and awareness as the experience of qualia. If qualia is only the experience of brain function, then it is not adding anything to the evolutionary fitness of a species. The purely mechanical function of converting photons to patterns, and matching patterns to stored patterns, and producing behaviors, can be done by robots.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.) - by bennyboy - July 27, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 3086 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 13779 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 47784 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1670 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 9459 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 4067 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 5008 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 3631 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 8252 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 12662 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm