Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subjective Morality?
Subjective Morality?
Hey all,

New user here, I thought this to be a good resource for a layman's morality question:

Whats the deal with Subjective Morality?

I know subjective morality is in nowadays, but I don't really understand how it's functional. Isn't the purpose of morality to rationally distinguish between good and bad actions? Can subjective morality do that, or are people defining things differently?

Thanks, any insight appreciated,
Mikolaj
RE: Subjective Morality?
It's an oxymoron.
Heya, welcome Smile

We’ve just been having a massive debate about this in another thread! Here’s my take.

Basically, "good" and "bad" are very vague, subjective terms. You can only have objective morality once you’ve defined those words in precise terms, so that any two people would reach the same conclusion in any given situation. But since people don’t agree on exactly what these mean, even if they generally agree, then any particular definition will be arbitrary or personal.

We can hope to reach a best compromise, but that’s all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Morality exists on a sliding scale.

That help?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The attempt to produce guidelines for behaviour that generally produces agreed favourable outcomes tends to be called ethics. For example, a business might draw up its list of ethics for how it expects its staff to behave, or how much pollution is acceptable, and so on.

Morality is the much more personal journey of deciding for yourself how you should act, and how you feel about how others are acting. I couldn’t possibly draw up a comprehensive code for my morality if I tried. I could sketch out basic principles I try to live by, but I take each situation in its own merits.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(October 15, 2018 at 11:57 am)wyzas Wrote: Morality exists on a sliding scale.

That help?

True, but morality is guidance through out stages, so it must recognized, not made up by us.

And if it's recognized, it's objective, although of various stages, not created by subjectivity.

And it's a guidance, it must truly a guidance, and not something that can lead correctly or incorrectly, and that there is no way to discern truth of it from falsehood.

Because warped morality is the cause of all oppression and chaos, it's people warping morality and justifying evil through it.

Guidance to be reliable, must have not only a reliable source (God) but a reliable means (Kings like Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Isaac, etc).
(October 15, 2018 at 12:03 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:

That help?

True, but morality is guidance through out stages, so it must recognized, not made up by us.

And if it's recognized, it's objective, although of various stages, not created by subjectivity.

And it's a guidance, it must truly a guidance, and not something that can lead correctly or incorrectly, and that there is no way to discern truth of it from falsehood.

Because warped morality is the cause of all oppression and chaos, it's people warping morality and justifying evil through it.

Guidance to be reliable, must have not only a reliable source (God) but a reliable means (Kings like Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Isaac, etc).

Not gonna play with you MK. Morals are a product of human society. Since societies differ what is considered moral will differ. god doesn't have a damn thing to do with it except that all gods are made by men.

Edit: Example using drinking ages: https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.reso...eID=004294
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 15, 2018 at 12:03 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:

That help?

Religious moralities always seem the most despicable, often just an excuse to oppress and abuse.

Like the systemic rapes by ISIS.
The Crusades.
Anti-choice.
Anti homosexuality.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

If you choose a book, and base your morality on that book, then that’s just as subjective as anything else. It’s also circular. Your only justification for why something is good is that the book says it is good. If you have any other justification than that, then you clearly have moral standards external to the book.

The book itself has objective text (although certainly not objective interpretations), but there are an infinite number of possible texts or fixed rules you could base your morality on. Everyone picks their own, in whatever way they think is best. I prefer to think things through and decide for myself. Deciding that you will never update your own morality isn’t a virtue, in my opinion.

Index of my best videos
(October 15, 2018 at 11:40 am)mfigurski80 Wrote: Hey all,

New user here, I thought this to be a good resource for a layman's morality question:

Whats the deal with Subjective Morality?

I know subjective morality is in nowadays, but I don't really understand how it's functional. Isn't the purpose of morality to rationally distinguish between good and bad actions? Can subjective morality do that, or are people defining things differently?

Thanks, any insight appreciated,
Mikolaj

Of course morality is subjective.  If it weren't, all cultures would have the same moral strictures, and all actions would be either moral or immoral.

Suppose I have a loaf of bread and you steal it from me.  If you committed the act because you hate me and wanted me to be hungry, that act would be immoral. But if you stole the bread to feed a starving child, that act would be moral.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1755 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10148 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1327 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8219 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3501 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4408 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 2791 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  Subjective Issues Azu 13 2354 September 26, 2017 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Astonished
  What is morality? Mystic 48 6895 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 10833 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm