Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
(August 3, 2014 at 9:41 am)rasetsu Wrote: Unsupported assertion. You don't know they aren't the same thing. Having different terms for something doesn't imply any existential difference, no matter what you mean.
It doesn't matter. The fact is that both the subjective and objective exist in this universe, but that in a physical monism, the objective explains all possible behaviors, as well as all possible observations. The capacity of the universe for the subjective therefore is highly suspicious.

Quote:
(August 2, 2014 at 8:24 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Sure it does. "Casablanca" is something which must be experienced to be understood.
Understood? What is that bullshit about? We're asking what a thing is, not what to understand a thing is.
Casablanca is a movie-viewing experience. You can decide for yourself whether you want to debate the semantics of thing-ness and whether qualia count. But whether you are willing to call experiences things or not, the fact is that Casablanca as an experience and Casablanca as a physical entity on film are not the same thing.

Quote:Irrelevant. I don't need to know "what it's like for you."
Sure you do. We're talking about qualia, and that's what qualia are-- what things are like to someone.

Quote:
(August 2, 2014 at 8:24 pm)bennyboy Wrote: It is the appearance of experience which defines the experience. Any view of qualia which does not accept this is not a view of qualia at all.
Unsupported assertion.
No. Well-supported definition:
Daniel Dennet @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia Wrote:qualia is "an unfamiliar term for something that could not be more familiar to each of us: the ways things seem to us."

Quote:
(August 2, 2014 at 8:24 pm)bennyboy Wrote: An apple is red, and it is wet. Are you saying that redness is wetness? The view of qualia which would be most compatible with your view is that qualia are a property of either matter or its functions. To say that qualia ARE the functions is to say that redness IS the apple.
No it's not. You're equating it to saying that is just a bizarre red herring.
Qualia are not the same as neuronal activity. One can be seen under a microscope by anyone who needs extra Neuropsych credits, and one is only experienced. Therefore, if qualia have any connection to matter, it is as a property. Qualia:brain as redness:apple.

Quote:No, there isn't a 1:1 correlation between birth and death at any particular time. You're equivocating. If there is a 1:1 correspondence between the two, in the absence of evidence of additional effects, it is irrational to believe without justification that there is some additional unspecified causal factor. Arguments from appearance don't count. Arguments from semantics don't count. Arguments from "ooh pretty" don't count. Arguments from incredulity don't count. Unsupported assertions don't count.
Okay so correlation is not causation-- unless you want it to be? That seems like special pleading to me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.) - by bennyboy - August 3, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2286 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11078 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41564 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1404 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8509 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3669 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4583 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 3122 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 7337 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 11349 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm