Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happens When God is Nature?
RE: What Happens When God is Nature?
(June 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm)Saerules Wrote: Bolded because you are right. Also, if they believe that 'God' is more than 'nature'... yet still responsible for nature: it is still true that 'God' works with 'natural' mechanisms Sleepy In these cases, much of the 'work of God' would be completely indistinguishable from 'nature'.
You are right. Since God usually works through nature many people don't realize that he is working at all. Here is a post I made in the Humor section which illustrates this:

Quote:
Quote: Paul the Human Wrote: A Christian, a Jew, and an atheist are standing in line to be executed during the French Revolution.

The Christian is first, and he lays down on the guillotine. Before the executioner pulls the lever he shouts, "My god will save me!" The lever is pulled, and the blade swooshes down, stopping just short of his neck. The executioner, believing a miracle of god has occurred, figures he can't kill this man, so he sets him free.

The Jew lays down on the guillotine. Like the Christian, he shouts, "My god will save me!" The lever is pulled, the blade falls, and once again, it stops just short of his neck. The executioner, again, believes god is on this man's side, and lets him go.

Finally, the atheist lays down on the guillotine. He examines the guillotine, finds a rock in the gears, and says to the executioner, "Well here's your problem..."

Here is a story about a man who made the same mistake this atheist did:

There was a man who had complete faith that God would protect him no matter what happened.

The Weather Bureau predicted that the town he lived in would be flooded and the government sent out workers to warn everyone to evacuate. The man told the person who delivered the warning to him, "I have faith that God will protect me. I don't need to leave."

The flood came and water filled the first floor of the man's house and he had to flee to the second floor. As he was looking out the window some people came by in a boat and offered to take him to safety. He told them, "I have faith that God will protect me. I don't need your help."

The water rose and filled the second floor and the man was forced to climb up on the roof. A man in a helicopter saw him and offered to rescue him but he said, "I have faith that God will save me."

The water continued to rise and the man drowned. In Heaven he said to God, "I had faith that you would save me from the flood. Why did you fail me?" God replied, "But I didn't fail you. I sent you a warning so you could have left before the flood came, and when you stayed I sent a boat and a helicopter to rescue you."

Both the atheist in the first story and the man who had faith in God failed to recognize that the natural events they observed were the result of God's actions.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by Minimalist - June 3, 2010 at 9:42 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by KichigaiNeko - June 4, 2010 at 8:59 am
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by Violet - June 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by theophilus - June 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by Edwardo Piet - June 5, 2010 at 3:44 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by theophilus - June 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by fr0d0 - June 4, 2010 at 1:52 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by fr0d0 - June 5, 2010 at 6:52 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by fr0d0 - June 5, 2010 at 7:46 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by fr0d0 - June 6, 2010 at 6:11 am
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by fr0d0 - June 6, 2010 at 7:22 am
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by Ramsin.Kh - June 8, 2010 at 6:35 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by fr0d0 - June 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by Ramsin.Kh - June 8, 2010 at 6:40 pm
RE: What Happens When God is Nature? - by fr0d0 - June 8, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star What happens after death? Fishkiss 52 8953 October 19, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1100 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Dogma of Human Nature WisdomOfTheTrees 15 2663 February 8, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15822 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3871 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Detecting design or intent in nature watchamadoodle 1100 182965 February 21, 2015 at 3:23 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Religion had good intentions, but nature has better LivingNumbers6.626 39 9272 December 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: John V
  On the nature of evidence. trmof 125 27710 October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Thumbs Up Why do people worry what happens after death,but dont think what happens before birth MountainsWinAgain 14 3726 June 21, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: RaisdCath
  Who can answer? (law of nature) reality.Mathematician 10 2996 June 18, 2014 at 7:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus