Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do people worry what happens after death,but dont think what happens before birth
Thumbs Up 
Why do people worry what happens after death,but dont think what happens before birth
Why are people so conflicted about what happens after death, but rarely wonder what happens before birth, since they're likely the same states of nonexistence?

Found this as an solid answer,any additional thoughts?
Quote:I would reckon that people are not concerned what happens before birth because the true fear lies in ego death. Our ego is a manifestation of our environment and social conditioning. Our ego developed as a result of life so the birth of our ego was the birth of our personal identity. We came in to this world and an ego developed after birth, so concerning yourself with the past non-existence of it seems to be wasted energy. We spend much more time in fear, anticipating the eventual death of our identity.
That being said the connection you made ia very insightful to those contemplating death. When preparing for it you can take cpmfort in knowing that before this particular life you were amongst the non-existent. We all came from death.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
RE: Why do people worry what happens after death,but dont think what happens before birth
I don't think it's that hard to understand. We weren't conscious before we existed, so now we have experience of something that, at least those in a stable economic conditions, generally enjoy and we don't much fancy loosing it.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
RE: Why do people worry what happens after death,but dont think what happens before birth
It basically boils down to humans who just have to think they are so fucking special.
(June 20, 2014 at 2:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It basically boils down to humans who just have to think they are so fucking special.
That appears to be a feature of the human mind; we are the center of the universe and the concept of death is probably way overblown by our minds, because when we die, EVERYTHING DIES. That, or the thought of missing out on whatever it is that comes next. I dunno, we're all at least a bit crazy.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Quote: I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Mark Twain

Which answers to OPs question too. We don't worry about before we were born because we have no bad memories of it. This is because we were not.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 20, 2014 at 2:11 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(June 20, 2014 at 2:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It basically boils down to humans who just have to think they are so fucking special.
That appears to be a feature of the human mind; we are the center of the universe and the concept of death is probably way overblown by our minds, because when we die, EVERYTHING DIES. That, or the thought of missing out on whatever it is that comes next. I dunno, we're all at least a bit crazy.

Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.

-Epicurus
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
Isn't reincarnation about your pre existent personality?
When I die, "I" will go back to where "I" came from. Where that is, I cannot say, and anyone who claims they know for sure is at best, deluded, and at worst, insane.
(June 20, 2014 at 6:12 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Isn't reincarnation about your pre existent personality?

I suppose it is. I never thought I had one, so I hadn't considered it.

--- The ugly thing about some religions that include past lives is that they assume you deserve what you get in this life because you earned in a past life. So it's ok to ignore the poor.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I'm sorry, but I've heard this question before, and I think it's a little bit retarded. We are moving through time in one direction, and there's a moment ahead of us in which we believe we are going to lose everything we've ever worked or cared for: family, friends, home, job, memories, absolutely everything. And we do not LIKE to invest time, effort and emotions in things only to have them taken away.

If you were driving a car with a blindfold, you wouldn't be worried about the road already behind you, because time matters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 8999 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What do people think of Kenneth R Whateverist 1 429 May 20, 2018 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
Star What happens after death? Fishkiss 52 8497 October 19, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  I think death is beautiful. Pretzel Logic 108 20295 February 9, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4468 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Why Do People Need Religion? Rebel 24 2727 November 21, 2015 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why do people hate school shooters? MusicLovingAtheist 84 18781 November 24, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Elskidor
  "If there's a bustle in your hedgrow, dont be alarmed now professor 24 5824 June 30, 2014 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
Lightbulb Why do we look at death as a bad thing? FractalEternalWheel 30 4795 March 18, 2014 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Why are People so Depressed in College? Koolay 9 1587 July 17, 2013 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: genkaus