Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens after death?
Star 
What happens after death?
Hello,

I'm going through therapy to help me cope with my thanatophobia (fear of death). I'm terrified of hospitals, doctors, sharp things, guns, gore. I'm constantly living in fear. I'm in sophomore high, and I'm taking a Health II class. I live with 3 smokers that smoke in the house, and now I'm afraid to get lung cancer because a book told me I could. The likelihood is really low because I avoid the smoke, but I can't help it. People tell me to believe in that God will be there for me, and everything will be okay. There's a part of me that is so terrified of this idea of the 'void,' and the so-called 'nothingness,' that it's tearing me apart and I don't know what to do about it.

I want to believe in life after death, but there's no evidence. I want to believe in heaven, but there's no evidence. Maybe I just need someone to talk to. I'm new to this forum, and a friend would be really great right now. 

Thank you! :)

you're going to be okay.
RE: What happens after death?
Go here---> https://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Tell me if this video helps you in any way. (I gotta say, I hate how people put music in the background of all of Watts' lectures...) I believe, as do most atheists, that there is nothing after death. It is the same as before you were born. But it doesn't have to be depressing,

I recommend making a thread in the Introductions section.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Welcome matey...

It's the circle of life brother ... no need to fear it.
Even Disney sing about it for the kiddies in the lion King.

You know stressing over thanatophobia is what's gonna kill you first... Relax ...snort some coffee, etc
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Lots of things happen. You just stop getting invited to them.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Unless your name's Bernie!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 16, 2017 at 10:11 pm)Fishkiss Wrote: Hello,

I'm going through therapy to help me cope with my thanatophobia (fear of death). I'm terrified of hospitals, doctors, sharp things, guns, gore. I'm constantly living in fear. I'm in sophomore high, and I'm taking a Health II class. I live with 3 smokers that smoke in the house, and now I'm afraid to get lung cancer because a book told me I could. The likelihood is really low because I avoid the smoke, but I can't help it. People tell me to believe in that God will be there for me, and everything will be okay.
Believing in god won't prevent you from dying..............graveyards are chock full of former believers.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Probably pretty unethical to experiment on people, but inducing an hideously severe case of survivors guilt in Fishkiss would be, from a strictly intellectual viewpoint, extremely fascinating.

Sorry . . .

and welcome.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 16, 2017 at 10:34 pm)Aegon Wrote: Tell me if this video helps you in any way. (I gotta say, I hate how people put music in the background of all of Watts' lectures...) I believe, as do most atheists, that there is nothing after death. It is the same as before you were born. But it doesn't have to be depressing,

I recommend making a thread in the Introductions section.

Thanks, I love Alan Watts Smile

I don't know how to think of the void as happy. I'm almost entirely afraid of nothingness, and what it would be like. I just think of it as really lonely and sad, and I don't know how I can overcome that. I've watched some near death experience interviews and people usually say that they feel happy and content. But these are people who have a brain that's still active. I don't think anyone has ever come back to life after their brain has shut down. (If there has, let me know! I'm curious.)

Despite my fear of death, I really have an interest in it. I wish there was a solid answer to what happens after death so that maybe I'd stop worrying so much. But there isn't, so I'll always wonder. But I want to be able to accept the unknown. I don't want thanatophobia, it's so terrible.

Also to everyone- Thanks for telling me to go to the introductions section, but I'm all good. I may go over there tomorrow, but for now I just need to get these thoughts out there. Hopefully you understand. Thank you all.

(October 16, 2017 at 11:46 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Probably pretty unethical to experiment on people, but inducing an hideously severe case of survivors guilt in Fishkiss would be, from a strictly intellectual viewpoint, extremely fascinating.

Sorry . . .

and welcome.

Haha! I imagine it feels terrible. I'm very grateful that I haven't been in any significant accidents. If I had been in the world trade center and lived, I'd need years of therapy most likely. 

Don't be sorry.

Thank you for the welcome Smile

(October 16, 2017 at 11:34 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(October 16, 2017 at 10:11 pm)Fishkiss Wrote: Hello,

I'm going through therapy to help me cope with my thanatophobia (fear of death). I'm terrified of hospitals, doctors, sharp things, guns, gore. I'm constantly living in fear. I'm in sophomore high, and I'm taking a Health II class. I live with 3 smokers that smoke in the house, and now I'm afraid to get lung cancer because a book told me I could. The likelihood is really low because I avoid the smoke, but I can't help it. People tell me to believe in that God will be there for me, and everything will be okay.
Believing in god won't prevent you from dying..............graveyards are chock full of former believers.

Oh yeah, that's common sense. It's just that people tell me to believe in god and everything will be alright. I don't believe that at all. It's sugar coating what I'm feeling, and it makes me feel invalid. Sorry if I was unclear at all. Thanks

(October 16, 2017 at 11:13 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Welcome matey...

It's the circle of life brother ... no need to fear it.
Even Disney sing about it for the kiddies in the lion King.

You know stressing over thanatophobia is what's gonna kill you first... Relax ...snort some coffee, etc
I think I'll pass on snorting coffee, haha. I've been binge watching Iron man this week to keep my mind off of my fears.

you're going to be okay.
A: I don't know, I've never done it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9353 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Thumbs Up Why do people worry what happens after death,but dont think what happens before birth MountainsWinAgain 14 3663 June 21, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: RaisdCath
  What happens to religion if we conquer death? Ryantology 21 5265 April 5, 2013 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What Happens When God is Nature? The_Flying_Skeptic 22 8301 June 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: theophilus