Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for God being "a superior being" ?
RE: Evidence for God being "a superior being" ?
(June 11, 2010 at 7:29 am)Rwandrall Wrote:

He didn’t make us as sinners or imperfect. He made us as decision makers in his image. It’s ludicrous to think that God created us in his image and also create us as imperfect or sinners. Your misconception lies in the fact that he created us perfect the way we are and that includes giving us the ability to turn against him and be autonomous and that each individual should be accountable for his/her own actions and decisions.

(June 11, 2010 at 8:43 am)tavarish Wrote:

Or in the context that he is omnipresent and exists outside the rules of the known universe.

(June 11, 2010 at 8:47 am)Welsh cake Wrote:

Perhaps that was poorly worded, thanks! God’s Love is a separate concept to that of the human emotion love was my point. Also that it is an identifier of God’s nature. It’s also axiomatically and unforeseeably unobtainable.
Faith also thrives on a questioning attitude and scrutiny. Honestly I don’t think religions as a whole or blind faith does though. I would also agree that science holds a better explanatory power for material existence than sky daddy does.
tav Wrote:It's a horrible analogy, as electricity is still bound by laws. Just because there's an infinite amount of it doesn't change the fact that it is subject to certain criteria in order to be called electricity. God, on the other hand, is taken by your arguments to be the necessary author of these laws, a prescribing force rather than describing force. This raises the questions we've been asking you all along, and which you dodge continuously. For the sake of argument, I'll assume your version of God is plausible.

I'll make the questions easy and concise so you can respond to them in order.

1. What is your account for why God has a nature?
2. Can God go against that nature?
3. Why is God's will effective rather than ineffective?
4. How can an infinitely powerful being (i.e. the Christian God) have things he cannot do? [/hide]
1- He doesn’t necessarily have to have a nature, but due to his observability in this universe he therefore has some sort of nature that’s observable.
2- I suppose he could… It depends.. Can you be anyone other than you? It would be possible I’m guessing, but holds no weight because any deviation from one’s nature is a temporary and unnatural state.
3- Could you please rephrase I’m not getting it, (Sorry I’m tired)
4- I don’t see anything he can’t do. Some things are outside of his nature to do (like affect free will), but nothing prevents him from doing anything due his omnipresence, omnipotence and omniscience. Basically the only thing that limits God is God.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evidence for God being "a superior being" ? - by tackattack - June 12, 2010 at 1:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Temple’s Seven Tenets Are Morally Superior To Ten Commandments Smedders 0 529 December 29, 2019 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4878 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39144 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  My dad doesn't view Christianity as superior Der/die AtheistIn 0 664 November 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29217 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20733 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6134 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 246094 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 137955 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 92865 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris