Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it really politically correct to say Happy Holidays, or is it just being polite?
RE: Is it really politically correct
(November 17, 2014 at 9:21 am)ChadWooters Wrote: I consider "Merry Christmas" an expression of the joy people have in their heart because of a very specific holiday, Christmas, and their desire to spread that joy, the Christmas spirit. Happy Holidays means the person tacitly accepts a walk on eggs culture that kills honesty and masks genuine sentiment with vapid euphemisms. If you don't believe in Christmas then say, "Have a Nice Day" and live honestly.

Nothing wrong with having a specific meaning in your heart for Christmas. But why worry when others say happy holidays, because that is was many of us mean, i.e. I hope you enjoy the holiday season which includes Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, and New Years, not to mention a fair amount of non holiday specific school time off. And if I say it, yes I really do hope you enjoy the whole season Christmas included.

I enjoy Christmas myself.

(November 17, 2014 at 10:37 am)Drich Wrote: The thing is you being 'polite' to everyone except Christians, our beliefs, our traditions, and our holiday. what's more you have taken a day we have adopted to celibrate the birth of Christ, and devalued it. You take the tradition commericialize it and strip all of it's meaning. What other religion can soceity take a sacred day from, takes it's key elements/practices and discard the rest while going through the motions/rituals, and it not be mocked?

You not being polite. You are making a political statement that devaules a very specific religion and those who believe or want to set apart december 25 as being the day Christ was born.

Nonsense. If I know you are Christmas, I may wish you a merry Christmas specifically.

Happy holidays isn't meant to deprive you of Christmas, or to commercialize it. You Christians did that last bit long before "Happy Holidays." And it's a bit much to demand that everyone consider the December holidays from your point of view. Just be glad it's an official holiday unlike, say, Hanukkah. You're privileged. Don't whine.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it really politically correct - by Jenny A - November 17, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1571 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1555 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2498 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11858 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could correct "god's" mistakes... The Valkyrie 50 13252 April 23, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 24271 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2929 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do as I say, not as I do thool 22 7362 May 29, 2017 at 4:59 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Is it fair to say? purplepurpose 53 7013 December 23, 2016 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Can I just say why I love you guys? Won2blv 13 2526 December 11, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K