Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 8:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Quote:A pretty remarkable picture into the mindset of a first century Jewish Christian proselytizer who was very influential in the founding and maintaining of the earliest churches ... have you even read any of Paul's epistles? Lol.
The author's mindset, sure...but I think we ought to establish that there was a Paul before we go claiming that we have insight into his mind, don't you? We've both agreed that we are removing the ignorant and un-serious from "Paul", yes?

Quote:I wouldn't say the character of Saul/Paul in Acts is unimportant. What's your basis for that claim? The whole point is to establish his credibility as a legitimate prophet.
Do you get the feeling, from the narrative, that anything about Paul, as a man, is important?   Seems to me the message is the focus, and stands either way.   Legitimate prophet, lol? More on that in a minute I suppose...

Quote:What narrative? The Pauline epistles predate any narratives.
-and it's never occurred to you that they -are- a narrative?  That they are not factual accounts? Ever read the Screwtape Letters, lol?

Quote:They make it pretty clear that Paul was a convert to a movement that already existed in some infantile stage. The writing of at least seven of the epistles is the distinctive work of a single individual, who offers biographical details about his life, his obstacles in spreading his newfound theological perspective, and mentions dozens of personal acquaintances in the churches unknown anywhere else...  But most importantly he calls himself Paul. So what motive would there be to create a "Paul" when no one in the church at that time was revered under any heading even remotely approaching "sainthood" with perhaps the exception of Jesus' inner circle, which Paul wasn't manifestly a part of as he almost has to plead with his audience and remind them of the literal pains he has endured following his mystical experience, in hopes of establishing his inclusion among the rank of apostleship?
Didn't you seek to demonstrate yourself..earlier, that Paul was both a name, and a name that carried authority in a certain subset?  Does there need to be anything more than this?  Is there any Paul now.....are people referring to Pauls authority regardless?  I don't know why there would have to be a Paul then...if there doesn;t have to be a Paul now - and still those things are true. Why would there need to be a motive -at all-....I'm not sure I understand the question..?  I thought we both agreed that neither of us sees a conspiracy here?

You and I don't really differ -that- much on the issue of Paul, btw, I can already tell. You conceive of Paul as a man who wrote letters regarding doctrine. I thinks it's awfully convenient that he gets those opportunities, that's all. Particularly in that it is those ignorant and un-serious claims made about "Paul" which forms the basis of his authority to speak to begin with (ah yes, "prophethood"). I doubt that there was a singular man being solicited to respond, via letter, to these churches. I think that the response to churches is a narrative device...a reason for the narrator to tell the story, a solicitation for correction where none seems to be incoming.

Are trying to establish that the Epistles had an author...or do you think that I would dispute that claim? We can both agree to skip that, entirely un-serious debate...eh? :wink:
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by The Grand Nudger - May 24, 2015 at 10:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9107 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6843 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 38291 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17172 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 11243 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 23155 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7718 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23592 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13461 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7286 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution