Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 3:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(June 4, 2015 at 8:44 am)Nestor Wrote: Hey Tim, I'm glad to see that you have returned. I kind of view your last visit and the trouncing you gave grouchy 'ol Min as one of the tipping points that nudged me from an agnostic position towards Jesus' existence, possessing a modicum of respect for the Mythicist thesis, to my current view which is basically what you and the overwhelmingly vast majority of historians hold. Welcome back. I hope our forum member Rhythm will try arguing his utterly dumb "Paul Mythicist" theory with someone more versed in the material and methods as I unfortunately ran out of patience trying to explain how the logic works when studying ancient sources.

LO< Can't argue it yourself..looking for relief?  The mans clothes healed the sick, at a distance.  End of.  I find it amusing that the way a person is forced to argue aganist the mythical and legendary paul is to dismiss the mythical and legendary paul in the text as not part of the Historical Paul™. The fact remains that no one can tell me who this historical Paul was with -any- confidence whatsoever, while it is trivially easy for me to show the mythical and legendary paul anytime a person asks.

Pro-tip....rather than attack the straw you consistently imagine and then attribute to me, you should just establish who this "historical paul" was. I haven't forgotten. I'm a paul mooter, you fucking moron, not a paul mythicist......as you'll find that each and every one of my interactions with you would attest to..if you'd pulled your head out of your ass and argued your own position rather than trying to imagine what mine was without simply accepting that I mean what I say and say what I mean. The paul -of the text- is mythical, legendary - regardless of what some "paul" - named used just for shits and giggles- may have been. It;s as if you're expecting me to argue that there weren't people in the world at that time, or somesuch...lol?

I think it's patently absurd to claim "Well, there was a historical paul" if, when asked who this historical paul was...the only tenable answer is "no clue". Let's try again "Was there a historical paul?" -"no clue".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by The Grand Nudger - June 4, 2015 at 10:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8941 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6670 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37722 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17053 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10826 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22845 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7652 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23148 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13034 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7221 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution