Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality, Justice, Greatness - do these things prove God?
Morality, Justice, Greatness - do these things prove God?
A very popular theistic argument goes along the lines that without God, there would be no objective morality. There is objective morality, therefore God exists.

I think there hasn't been too much elaboration as why this is the case. I've been thinking about the issue, and I would say it comes to existence of morality and justice, and what is great and not, there has to be a correctness in all details to the issue for these to be real. I also then contend that humans are not correct in all details of greatness, morality and justice.

Yes we might almost all agree upon somethings being unmoral or somethings being moral, somethings being just and somethings being unjust, but we differ on other things and don't even have a solid opinion on some issues.

But there seems to be a need that is a correct view to all the things that involve morality, justice, and greatness, and when we begin to say there isn't, it put's question morality, justice, and greatness.

There is more to it, our view even if sometimes wrong, is not baseless. We have some basis to it. Our perspective however we might say is twisted when it's wrong. But what's it twisted from?
If morality was all within a human being, how can a person have a twisted view to a moral issue? What is he twisted from. There seems to have to be a universal moral reality that we are being twisted from. And when we are correct, what is this based upon? It seems again, it can't just be our inner thoughts, but there has to be a relationship with a reality that morality, justice, and greatness have an absolute reality.

Now I would go further that there is infinite degrees of possible moral highness, and part of morality is knowing the greatness of each stage, and what makes one greater then the other. What makes one person greater then another. We might not always know, but there has to be a reality to it.

It seems as well, all infinite stages must have a basis in a reality, like how our morality needs it. This again, follows from the idea that every detail of morality, justice, and greatness must have a correctness for morality, justice, and greatness to be true at all.

It seems when you think of it, the highest possible stage of greatness, morality, and justice, must have a reality as well. This just follows from contemplation.

That reality to me would be a being that is worthy of Worship.

Furthermore, it seems to be the case, that this is not a reality that can come to being, but must be eternal. If it was something that can just come into being, it would make morality, justice, and greatness arbitrary when it's not.

Messages In This Thread
Morality, Justice, Greatness - do these things prove God? - by MysticKnight - February 9, 2012 at 1:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1887 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  WLC: "You can't prove the negative" Fake Messiah 107 5492 February 25, 2022 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Ubermensch and justice Macoleco 14 1040 February 19, 2022 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10360 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37569 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  These guys have ALL the answers Dr H 3 547 November 13, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1344 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Prove honesty is virtuous! Mystic 15 1631 May 30, 2018 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8312 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3562 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet