Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality, Justice, Greatness - do these things prove God?
RE: Morality, Justice, Greatness - do these things prove God?
Well, I'll be glad to share my views for whatever they're worth. I can tell you right now they aren't going to match up with yours MysticKnight. And ironically that actually supports my views (i.e. that morality is necessarily subjective)

The very reason I don't buy into those arguments is precisely because I personally view morality as being entirely subjective.

I mean, sure a lot of humans are going to agree on a lot of things. Don't poke me in the eye it hurts. Well duh? Poking people in the eyes is probably going to agreed upon as being an immortal action.

So there's going to be a lot of commonality, but to suggest that this equates to an objective morality has no grounds. We can already see that all humans do not agree on the morality of things mere same-gender loving intimacy. So it should be blatantly obviously from this that morality could never hope to be purely objective.

That would only follow if you went into contemplation convinced that morality has to be objective. Only then could you pretend to come up with an "Absolutely Perfect Morality"

But there's a huge folly in this kind of thinking. What if after your contemplation you came up with your ideal Perfect Morality, and then you discovered that your deity didn't agree with YOU?

Then what?

Here you are judging whether a diety is worthy of Worship based on whether or not you personally consider that deity to have Perfect Moral Standards. What if you disagreed?

This a huge problem I have with something like the Biblical God, for example. If the Bible is a correct description of the Moral Mindset of the Biblical God then no, I could not worship it. The moral values of that God are simply far beneath what I would personally hold to be "Good Moral Standards"

Well, of course not. You're thinking in terms of an "Absolute Perfect Moral System". That's an erroneous idea right there.

If such a perfect absolute system existed, you're right, it would be highly unlikely to come into being by accident. But we have no reason to believe that such a Perfect Morality Code could even exist.

In fact how would you even go about defining such a thing?

Would it simply be a Moral System that "everyone" agree on?

If so, we most certainly have no reason to believe that any such system exists or even could exist.

And if not, then what about the people who disagree with it? How can it be an absolute perfect moral system if everyone doesn't even agree with it?

As far as I can see, morality has to be subjective. It makes no sense to even try to imagine a perfect moral system. Perfect with respect to what?

The whole idea of putting a God in charge of that in the first place is so the God has the last word whether anyone else likes it or not. Their opinions simply don't count.
Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Morality, Justice, Greatness - do these things prove God? - by Abracadabra - February 9, 2012 at 2:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1908 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  WLC: "You can't prove the negative" Fake Messiah 107 5534 February 25, 2022 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Ubermensch and justice Macoleco 14 1055 February 19, 2022 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10396 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37714 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  These guys have ALL the answers Dr H 3 555 November 13, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1345 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Prove honesty is virtuous! Mystic 15 1638 May 30, 2018 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8325 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3565 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet