Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions versus Consequences
Actions versus Consequences
Actions and consequences are only ever really discussed as far as subjects like crime and punishment go... and "karma". They're never really discussed to the extent nature versus nurture is with an understanding that it fundamentally changes and moulds a human beings personality regardless of source or outcome.

For example; I do something good and something bad happens to me. Do I take it as a life lesson and become more prudent with my good deeds, do I go a slightly rebellious route and become even more zealous in my do-goodings (fairly certain thats not a word but whatever) or do I go "oh fuck this" and go the other way entirely.
Does it depend on age? Circumstance? Intellect? Philosophical approach? Is there a basic way in which all humans are inclined to react or is it completely based on the type of person in those circumstances?

Another example; I'm a total bastard and good things happen to me. What then? What do I take away from that?

Both of these are examples that occur with regularity and I'm sure we could all give sources we've come across ourselves, I know I certainly could.
Which effects our personalities more; our actions, the outcome or our response to that outcome? Can we really claim to have any significant control over how our personalities develop or are we helplessly being moulded by the vicious whirlpool that is cause and effect without any moral or logical basis to it?

These are the thoughts I woke up at almost 5am with. Slightly groggy, slightly pissed off, slightly thirsty and regarding the thoughts with the semi-conscious equivalent of "oh for fuck sake, really?". But the thoughts remained like a mischievous little imp poking my forehead occasionally and not letting me get back to sleep. So here I am leaving it on your doorstep, ringing the doorbell and running away.
I'd rather this was kept strictly as a debate grounded in reality if it does indeed become a debate but I for one do not have an answer to these questions and would not dare to claim I did without some type of study to quote from.

Go nuts.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Messages In This Thread
Actions versus Consequences - by Reforged - July 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by jonb - July 23, 2012 at 12:25 am
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by Reforged - July 23, 2012 at 12:48 am
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by jonb - July 23, 2012 at 6:33 am
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by Reforged - July 23, 2012 at 7:23 am
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by jonb - July 23, 2012 at 7:58 am
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by Reforged - July 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by Annik - July 23, 2012 at 2:13 am
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by Reforged - July 23, 2012 at 4:08 am
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by Annik - July 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by jonb - July 23, 2012 at 5:02 pm
RE: Actions versus Consequences - by Reforged - July 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Typical theists versus typical atheists KerimF 139 35218 May 15, 2023 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Are all actions in life based on interest only"? WinterHold 38 2813 April 16, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1345 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8324 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3850 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  actions or intentions? c172 2 968 September 17, 2013 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Walking Void