Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typical theists versus typical atheists
Typical theists versus typical atheists
[1]
A typical theist doesn’t mind believing in miracles, said religious if approved by certain religious people, privileged by the high class.
A typical atheist doesn’t mind believing an idea, beyond his personal experience, if said scientific and approved by certain scientists, privileged by the high class.

[2]
A typical theist doesn’t mind obeying rules if said inspired by a god and approved by certain religious people, privileged by the high class.
A typical atheist doesn’t mind obeying rules if said inspired by certain great ancestors (who are usually supposed representing ideals for the human race) and approved by privileged Elite.

Even from these two points, one may conclude that while a typical theist is made ready to accept being a follower/supporter of a certain heavenly ruling system, an atheist prefers to be a follower, if not a supporter too, of an earthly ruling system he used to know.

In the ‘real’ world (far from the great speeches, religious or political and as I see it), the role of religions (of various heavenly ruling systems) and politics (of various earthly ruling systems) are much alike. In both camps, minds of the faithful believers/followers are driven cleverly to where they are supposed to be. For example on one hand, a person is made ready to risk his life for a god. On the other hand, a person is made ready to risk his life for a flag (actually, the ideals it represents).

In other words, religions and politics complement each other, so that the most powerful/rich families in every region in the world can legitimately be served by the men on bottom who can choose freely to be theist or atheist.
Answering: What is my point?
https://atheistforums.org/thread-49852.html
RE: Typical theists versus typical atheists
I wouldn't have thought it possible that I could read so much bollocks in the space of two minutes.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 2, 2017 at 11:11 am)Succubus Wrote: I wouldn't have thought it possible that I could read so much bollocks in the space of two minutes.

And your very short reply is indeed full of information that I never heard of.
You kindly presented by it all what you have discovered in the world.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Answering: What is my point?
https://atheistforums.org/thread-49852.html
Typical theists I encounter aren't all that different from atheists. Atheist group rejects all Gods, individuals in the theist group not only reject 99.999% of all God claims, they also reject 80-95% of whatever their one 'special' God says/requires/forbids.

Hell, connoisseurs of bread are more diverse. Sourdough, Wonder, Italian, rye, homemade, whole wheat!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

banana . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Your god is a phony as all other gods, dickhead.
Pumpernickel
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Your god is a phony as all other gods, dickhead.

What of a hypothetical (as of yet) deity that requires as a condition of Salvation, for a follower to blow Jesus out their ass ???

AHA !!!

I got you now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(July 2, 2017 at 9:39 am)KerimF Wrote: [1]
A typical theist doesn’t mind believing in miracles, said religious if approved by certain religious people, privileged by the high class.
A typical atheist doesn’t mind believing an idea, beyond his personal experience, if said scientific and approved by certain scientists, privileged by the high class.

[2]
A typical theist doesn’t mind obeying rules if said inspired by a god and approved by certain religious people, privileged by the high class.
A typical atheist doesn’t mind obeying rules if said inspired by certain great ancestors (who are usually supposed representing ideals for the human race) and approved by privileged Elite.

Even from these two points, one may conclude that while a typical theist is made ready to accept being a follower/supporter of a certain heavenly ruling system, an atheist prefers to be a follower, if not a supporter too, of an earthly ruling system he used to know.

In the ‘real’ world (far from the great speeches, religious or political and as I see it), the role of religions (of various heavenly ruling systems) and politics (of various earthly ruling systems) are much alike. In both camps, minds of the faithful believers/followers are driven cleverly to where they are supposed to be. For example on one hand, a person is made ready to risk his life for a god. On the other hand, a person is made ready to risk his life for a flag (actually, the ideals it represents).

In other words, religions and politics complement each other, so that the most powerful/rich families in every region in the world can legitimately be served by the men on bottom who can choose freely to be theist or atheist.

There's a VERY important difference.  The "typical atheist" you describe, which is not really an atheist but a layperson believer of science, has one belief that you do not, and cannot, hold: he believes that if he wants to, he can pick up the trail, follow all the science, and duplicate any of it that he wants to.  He's been given at least enough examples of this in school, where he has done scientific experiments, and gotten similar results to those expected: same measurements, same chemical changes, same motions of objects through space, and so on.  And if he wants to follow up further, he will be embraced by the scientific community for his efforts, and will likely be allowed access to universities and other contexts in his pursuit of the truth.

The theist, on the other hand, warmly embraces the fact that he CANNOT retrace the steps of the religious greats.  He cannot walk on water.  He cannot expect to talk to burning bushes, or to multiply fish, or to have a direct communication with God.  In fact, if he demonstrates a need or even a desire to see proof that his religious authorities really do have access to the Lord, he will be accused of lacking faith.  If he doubts that any of the miracles described in his Holy Book of choice really happened as described, he may be excommunicated or worse.  How many times has a "typical atheist" been outcast or threatened with bodily harm because he doesn't believe in a particular scientific experiment, result or conclusion?  Plenty-- but only by those religious institutions accusing him of lack of faith!

In short, while you're not wrong about laypeople having a certain faith in particular scientific results (I have never been in a rocket or triggered a nuclear bomb), there is no demand of faith IN THE INSTITUTION or IN THE PROCESS.  That's why the "typical atheist" as you describe it cannot be said to equivalent to the "typical theist" as you describe it. You have faith because there is nothing for you to have BUT faith-- there is no process for you to follow to verify the "truths" you are made to believe.
(July 2, 2017 at 9:39 am)KerimF Wrote: [1]

[2]

[1]: Darwin kept his theory secret until near his death. It was not received well by the elite. Einstein toiled in obscurity until experiments revealed his genius. Public money / taxes now fund science in the U.S. The days of patronage by elites and monarchs are long gone.

[2] : Rules? can you be more specific?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1327 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists and Atheists: the "is there a God Devil's advocate thread Alex K 60 11646 October 30, 2015 at 7:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Actions versus Consequences Reforged 11 5026 July 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Reforged