Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 8:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Does Atheism and Left-Wing Politics Usually Go Together?
RE: Why Does Atheism and Left-Wing Politics Usually Go Together?
(September 26, 2012 at 12:30 am)Blackrook Wrote: Well, if you vote Democratic this year you are voting for another four years of high unemployment, business failures, mortgage foreclosures, and out of control spending.

Dude. All that stuff happened under Bush. Remember how he was the president telling us how we needed to bail out the banks? While I don't blame Bush for the banking crash in the first place, I do blame him for his response: save the millionaires and let all those regular folk wind up homeless.

Quote:But I guess that's ok with you to keep some kid from praying in school.

That's just it; nobody has ever tried to stop anyone from praying in schools. My boyfriend was raised in a fundamentalist family and he was taught to always pray before he ate, right? So he always prayed over his meal before he ate at school. Guess what? Nobody ever tried to stop him!

Now, if you want to talk about public employees using their position to promote their personal religious beliefs, that's a different discussion, but keep in mind that if it's legal and I'm the teacher, I'll be telling the class to say "Fuck off, Jesus!"

Also, for me, new issues are going to come up; they always do. I know marriage equality is still being fought (although it doesn't impact me, personally, because of the kinda-unique situation between my boyfriend and I). I don't know what issue will come up next, but I do know the religious conservatives have never supported me so why should I support them?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Does Atheism and Left-Wing Politics Usually Go Together? - by TaraJo - September 26, 2012 at 12:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2538 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 7393 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4879 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 332 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ghost Guns - one of the left's lies. onlinebiker 33 2214 June 23, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 798 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 502 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1448 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  [Serious] When you left theism, did you go Left? zwanzig 34 2236 April 22, 2021 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 1014 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal