Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prosperity Theology
Prosperity Theology
@ ARCANUS mainly, but of course open to anyone who feels like jumping in.

What is your opinion of "Prosperity Theology" so beloved of some of the happy clappy evangelicals?

So we're on the same page; From Wiki

Quote:Prosperity theology (also known as prosperity doctrine, health and wealth, prosperity gospel) is a religious teaching that God desires material prosperity for those he favors.[1] Material prosperity in this theology not only includes financial prosperity but success in relationships and good health as well.[2] This material favour may be preordained, or granted by God in return for correct "faith" significantly evidenced in the beliefs, attitude and obedience of the adherent.[3] It has been the target of debate within the Christian community.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

My perception is that it's a simplified reworking of Calvinism,with its teaching of predestination usually implied rather than stated outright. IE The saved are prosperous, that's how you can tell they're saved. (See Max Weber; "The Protestant Ethic And The Spirit Of Capitalism")

The notion seems to contradict the admonitions and some of the parables of Jesus;EG "It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" and the "the lillies of the field". There's LOT in the gospels about living a simple life devoid of wealth,both explicit and implied..

That's the cheese, I'll leave the chalk of Liberation theology for another thread. Not wanting to argue doesn't mean I'm not willing to ask your opinion. I also visit an on line Yeshiva to ask Talmudic scholars about Judaism,but don't try to argue with them. I want to learn,not "prove I'm right".Cool Shades

Messages In This Thread
Prosperity Theology - by padraic - July 22, 2009 at 9:32 pm
RE: Prosperity Theology - by fr0d0 - July 23, 2009 at 3:48 am
RE: Prosperity Theology - by Dotard - July 23, 2009 at 8:16 am
RE: Prosperity Theology - by Purple Rabbit - July 23, 2009 at 9:35 am
RE: Prosperity Theology - by fr0d0 - July 23, 2009 at 12:15 pm
RE: Prosperity Theology - by LukeMC - July 23, 2009 at 7:44 pm
RE: Prosperity Theology - by fr0d0 - July 23, 2009 at 8:05 pm
RE: Prosperity Theology - by padraic - July 23, 2009 at 8:25 pm
RE: Prosperity Theology - by chatpilot - July 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theology and Sociology SimpleCaveman 38 2462 November 28, 2023 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK! MellisaClarke 79 15536 January 3, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theology of Atheism: Do the clergy/theologians really believe? SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 6 2674 September 21, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Abusive Theology 101 freedomfromforum 180 41686 August 19, 2013 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Atheists Commenting On Theology! Kyuuketsuki 36 14598 August 3, 2009 at 10:34 am
Last Post: chatpilot