Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK!
People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK!
You know those super-nervous moments sometimes when on one of those roller coaster rides?

Well, as a long time Christian, I am having that exact feeling from this news!

I've been thinking about this new information for a week now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo
RE: People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK!
But Mellisa, what does your heart say? Big Grin

Does it really matter if all the muppets from the bible are false?
You have your Christian social life and friends ... Isn't that enough to just go with the flow...?

Do you find it a little insulting that you may have been taken for a ride? A good portion of ex theists here do...
If you don't want to feel super nervous ...easy ... switch off your brain and don't be so inquisitive... lol

The only thing I can tell you is that we don't get to consciously choose what we believe in...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK!
Do you get that same rollery coastery feeling when you reflect that Hercules didn't clean the Augean stables?  Simply because you happened to grow up with a culturally comfortable set of myths doesn't make them any less mythical.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 29, 2017 at 3:17 am)MellisaClarke Wrote: You know those super-nervous moments sometimes when on one of those roller coaster rides?

I wouldn't hold to much stock in a youtube vid. The city of Gath has been found and a piece of pottery with the name Goliath on it. Could be she is wrong, very wrong, I know she is.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(December 29, 2017 at 3:51 am)Godscreated Wrote:
(December 29, 2017 at 3:17 am)MellisaClarke Wrote: You know those super-nervous moments sometimes when on one of those roller coaster rides?

I wouldn't hold to much stock in a youtube vid. The city of Gath has been found and a piece of pottery with the name Goliath on it. Could be she is wrong, very wrong, I know she is.

GC

I just didn't expect to get this information from a professor of theology!
Quote:The city of Gath has been found and a piece of pottery with the name Goliath on it.

Not exactly, GC.  Aren Meir issued a correction that the sherd inscription was a name 'etymologically close to Goliath', which is hardly the same thing at all. It is sort of like finding a 12th century parchment in England containing the name 'Robert Wood' and calling it support for the Robin Hood legends.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 29, 2017 at 3:56 am)MellisaClarke Wrote:
(December 29, 2017 at 3:51 am)Godscreated Wrote: I wouldn't hold to much stock in a youtube vid. The city of Gath has been found and a piece of pottery with the name Goliath on it. Could be she is wrong, very wrong, I know she is.

GC

Just because she is a professor it doesn't mean she is a Christian, it's more like she wanted to do this for a job and doesn't care about the truth. I've seen many theological professors that do not accept what the Bible teaches and/or the truths of scripture. For many of them it's just a job and why they do it I have no idea, you would think they would find something they believe in. Guess it's more like a philosophy to them, who knows, what matters is what you know to be real and the truth, don't get upset because some people want to make a name for themselves instead of searching for the truth.

GC

(December 29, 2017 at 4:11 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:The city of Gath has been found and a piece of pottery with the name Goliath on it.

Not exactly, GC.  Aren Meir issued a correction that the sherd inscription was a name 'etymologically close to Goliath', which is hardly the same thing at all. It is sort of like finding a 12th century parchment in England containing the name 'Robert Wood' and calling it support for the Robin Hood legends.

Boru

We'll see where this leads, Gath is even referred to by the ancient Egyptian writings so there was no doubt it existed and two sherds  have inscriptions on them with names similar to Goliath.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
If this video threw you of have a look at Richard Carrier. His videos are longer but it is very interesting what he has to say about the new testament and jesus.
What is it you most dislike? Stupidity, especially in its nastiest forms of racism and superstition.” 

~ Christopher Hitchens
(December 29, 2017 at 3:56 am)MellisaClarke Wrote:
(December 29, 2017 at 3:51 am)Godscreated Wrote: I wouldn't hold to much stock in a youtube vid. The city of Gath has been found and a piece of pottery with the name Goliath on it. Could be she is wrong, very wrong, I know she is.

GC

Tthat's because outside the US most professors of theology are picked for their academic credentials and sceptical nous than their fundagelical status.

This leads to, shock, horror!, atheists and agnostics getting appointed because they know their shit.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(December 29, 2017 at 4:43 am)Godscreated Wrote:
(December 29, 2017 at 3:56 am)MellisaClarke Wrote: I just didn't expect to get this information from a professor of theology!

Just because she is a professor it doesn't mean she is a Christian, it's more like she wanted to do this for a job and doesn't care about the truth. I've seen many theological professors that do not accept what the Bible teaches and/or the truths of scripture. For many of them it's just a job and why they do it I have no idea, you would think they would find something they believe in. Guess it's more like a philosophy to them, who knows, what matters is what you know to be real and the truth, don't get upset because some people want to make a name for themselves instead of searching for the truth.

GC
Francesca is confusing me.
She says she loves the bible, and yet she talks about the people being made up, including some of the authors!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theology and Sociology SimpleCaveman 38 2410 November 28, 2023 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4603 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78641 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7578 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3317 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16309 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1523 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  I've never gotten a good answer to.... Brian37 23 5662 October 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Theology of Atheism: Do the clergy/theologians really believe? SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 6 2670 September 21, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20265 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13