Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 10:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith
RE: The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith
(March 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm)jstrodel Wrote:
(March 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: "Bad person"?! According to what? The bible?

I think you can have a knowledge of ethics that it is wrong to direct your will without any wisdom guiding it. It is similar to the concept of rationality. Epistemology and ethics are closely intertwined.

That's not obvious to me. Just because I think it is good to use wisdom to decide what is "right" or "wrong" doesn't mean that that is therefore "right" to apply wisdom in directing my will. I can't see anything wrong with me acting only on impulse. But that's not something I'd like to do because I value a long and successful life and not using wisdom to decide what to do would not accomplish what I want.

I only use wisdom in trying to achieve my already arbitrary desires and morals. I don't use wisdom to decide what these desires and morals should be however because I can't see how one set of values can be better or worse than another set. In that I go by instinct.

Quote:To be a Christian really means that your will is always directed towards wisdom. I believe that there could be alternative ways of understanding God, that could also be directed towards wisdom, or towards human nature and the glory of God represented in nature.

So I think that the sort of nihilistic ethics would be condemned in pretty much every single religion and philosophy ever developed. People are created to direct their wills towards what is good, and it is possible to know what is good. Is the knowledge of what is good less important than knowing the details of esoteric scientific theories, if they can even be understood at all?

That's just part of your worldview. It poses no problem to me until you prove that your religion is true.

Quote:Human biology and culture reveals that it is wrong to be foolish and direct the will only the pleasures or arbitrarily.

Really? How so? It seems like your already assuming a set of values to reach that conclusion.

Quote:Nihilism is a way of saying that foolishness is acceptable because there is no such thing as wisdom. As hinted at before, this also destroys the foundations of atheist epistemology, at least epistemology understood in a sense in which there are duties to accept the fruits of epistemology.

This is just appeal to consequences fallacy.

Quote:Anyone who defends nihilism is defending that it is ok to be a bad person. I think it is safe to call them a bad person.

Again that's just a judgement from the assumption of your own worldview. It doesn't discount nihilism or moral subjectivity in general.

I haven't studied nihilism very much btw. I just don't believe in objective moral values. If that makes me a nihilist so be it.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Messages In This Thread
RE: The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith - by Tea Earl Grey Hot - March 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1219 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 371 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3278 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2638 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1463 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4364 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10567 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4260 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 7003 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 2714 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind