Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?
How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?
This is a very interesting question, thanks to someone else chatting with me whose name I won't disclose in the best interests of everyone's safety and anonymity.

For someone who's delusional, how to tell the difference and find reality?

What sorts of thinking do you do? What kind of research do you do? What kind of experiments and experiences do you try out to verify if something is real or not?

I don't know good ways to it but I guess, one should identify the sources of delusions, get to the root of it and evaluate.

Existentialistically speaking, one may evaluate if delusions are practical, positive or not... and whether to live with it or change it.
RE: How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions?
If someone actually believes what they are experiencing, then to them it isn't an illusion at all but reality.
(If a crazy man was sane enough to call himself crazy, then he's not crazy).

Interesting but how does this differ greatly from billions of theists who are happy living (or dying in some cases) with their delusions?
Society has deemed this behaviour as perfectly acceptable. Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
You can't know whether something is delusional unless you have a context in which to view it. In the context of my normal human activities, people are delusional who think they can fly. In another context, everything I think and "know" might be completely false or illusory.

I'll settle for truth-in-context: in the world view in which I think and function, some things are true and some aren't, and that's good enough.
Here's something to ponder everybody...
Put your philosophy hats on first...

What if Trump is the good person and we're the arseholes! Thinking
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 13, 2017 at 5:13 am)ignoramus Wrote: Here's something to ponder everybody...
Put your philosophy hats on first...

What if Trump is the good person and we're the arseholes!   Thinking

Nah.  In the context where people can be judged AS people, he's a dick.

If there's another context in which Trump is good, it's so far abstracted from our reality that we couldn't recognize it.
If you have delusions you need other people to tell you they are delusions. We have medication for that.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Punch it. If it punches back, it probably isn't a delusion.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 13, 2017 at 6:00 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Punch it. If it punches back, it probably isn't a delusion.

Boru

You're thinking of "illusion."  If you think you can punch me without serious consequences, you are suffering from a delusion.
Yet, illusions can also be forms of delusions.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 13, 2017 at 6:23 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(June 13, 2017 at 6:00 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Punch it. If it punches back, it probably isn't a delusion.

Boru

You're thinking of "illusion."  If you think you can punch me without serious consequences, you are suffering from a delusion.

If there are serious consequences, that would convince me that you're not a delusion. Pay attention.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1149 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 349 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 503 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3540 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3203 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 64835 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4220 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does perfection in reality never contain any flaws ? The Wise Joker 55 9386 February 7, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Sal
  The difference between a sceptic and a non-sceptic robvalue 12 1923 May 20, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The difference between empathy and sympathy and why it's important Aegon 7 2035 February 22, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: bennyboy