Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 3:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up
Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...her-story/

FYI Matt Slick is the founder of the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry (CARM), and all in all is a bit of a fundie. Rachael's account of how she was brought up is a good guide on how to indoctrinate and retard a child's developing mind.

Interesting, especially because for all intents and purposes she was a fundie herself as well versed in the theological underpinnings of her faith as any theist I have ever met online or personally. And she was undone by the very same debates we often see on here (origin of morality and the contradictions of an omni-faceted god and 'right and wrong'). A lot of parallels can be drawn in her testimony and the debates we have here, so worth a read.

Quote:Atheists frequently wonder how an otherwise rational Christian can live and die without seeing the light of science, and I believe the answer to this is usually environment. If every friend, authority figure, and informational source in your life constantly repeat the same ideas, it is difficult not to believe they’re onto something. My world was built of “reasonable” Christians — the ones who thought, who questioned, who knew that what they believed was true. In the face of this strength, my own doubts seemed petty.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up - by Fidel_Castronaut - July 19, 2013 at 6:17 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 6953 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. Jehanne 80 5262 March 20, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Matt and Luke: Ships Passing in the Night YahwehIsTheWay 15 1690 December 1, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Cod
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1202 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16781 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5461 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7833 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  My experience in a Moon church/organization (korean religion) Macoleco 20 7088 May 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Near death experience of Howard Storm scoobysnack 548 84118 October 28, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  I'm beginning to have a growing hatred for Christians, do you blame me GoHalos1993 11 2338 May 23, 2016 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Drich