Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion
Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion
I did. I wasn't allowed to watch PG-13 movies or R rated movies. I also wasn't allowed to play T or M rated games. I also wasn't allowed to watch the NFL since they played and Sunday and my parents felt that was in violation of the Sabbath. I was raised in a Mormon family. I really have nothing against the Mormon faith, I just don't really believe in God. And this is not something to bash the religion or my parents. Because I love and respect my parents, they have taught me a lot. 

Of course now that I am 25 and living on my own I play M rated games all the time. GTA, Red Dead, Fallout. I also watch some NFL but I find it kind of boring. I'm more of a baseball fan  Smile

But hey, there is that saying that every parent is just doing their best and parents do often know best.
Better there than here where all my stuff is

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion
I didn't but some of my cousins did. They could watch people get killed and transmogrified and whatnot in Star Trek, but because that was SciFi violence, it was allowed. Heaven forbid they watch Monty Python.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 14, 2018 at 11:52 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I didn't but some of my cousins did.  They could watch people get killed and transmogrified and whatnot in Star Trek, but because that was SciFi violence, it was allowed.  Heaven forbid they watch Monty Python.

Interesting. Ironically I grew up in a Star Trek house. My Mom is a big fan of the series.
Better there than here where all my stuff is

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
Same as Jor. I didn't, my cousins did. (Still do, but now they rebel.)
No non vegetarian food on two certain days of the week. (I forget which, but I think Tuesday was one of them)
No beef whatsoever, any day of the week. (Eventually the government just flat-out banned it, so.  Great)
No non-vegetarian food during festivals. 
You get the drift...

Haha no, I'm pretty sure there were non food related rules too, but I don't remember. Hinduism in itself doesn't have many rules, but the caste system has made all this happen. We're a family of Brahmins, so we're supposed to not eat non-vegetarian food ever, technically.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
My mother, a staunch Catholic, was against sex education of any kind and was always on the watch to make sure my brother and I didn't commit the mortal sin of masturbation.

My father was a Bible-thumping Lutheran who firmly believed in the scriptural message, "Ye shall beat them with a rod and by the blueness of their wounds shall [disobedient children] be cleansed." His favorite tool of "correction," however, was a leather strap which he would wield at the slightest provocation. He died in 2003 and I did not shed even a single tear for him at his funeral.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
No trimming hair at all, no makeup, no clear nail polish, no dancing, no movies, no rock music, no Christmas tree, no Halloween, no Santa, no Easter Bunny, no talking at dinner until after parents were done talking.

Sad
I said to the sun, tell me about the Big Bang.
The sun said, 'It hurts to become.'

~Andrea Gibson
Pentecostal.  1960's - 1970's.

No makeup, no jewelry (except a watch), no pants for girls, only skirts that had to be at least to the bottom of the kneecap.
Parent-approved TV, only classical and religious music allowed in the house.  No dancing, no games with dice or playing cards.
No shopping on Sunday, no TV on Sunday.  No drinking or smoking, obviously.  
  What else?  Mother was particularly susceptible to "bible health fads".  The few months when she made us drink warm
cider vinegar every morning because "Jesus drank it" was kind of icky.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
No outside play on Sundays (board games were allowed), fish on Fridays (even after the Pope ok’d meat), no God-related swearing at any time, including ‘God cursed’, ‘God forsaken’ and ‘bloody’.  Not terribly bad, considering.

I was once asked to give the blessing at Sunday supper. I said, ‘Rub-a-dub-dub, ta for the grub, yay God!’ and my gran threw a teacup at me.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creator God Gets to Make the Rules zwanzig 25 2030 August 6, 2023 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6188 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2037 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1239 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  My Mormon parents NuclearEnergy 11 2314 October 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2109 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5608 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1343 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Bill Maher: New Rules 9-28-18 Minimalist 1 769 September 29, 2018 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A religious delimma. (God Parents) ignoramus 2 684 June 29, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13