Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did ancient egypt have crucifiction?
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction?
(October 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: However, names and numbers (especially numbers) in the OT can not be relied upon 100%. An error in transmission easily changes 1450 to 2450, for instance.
While I certainly agree with your first sentence...probably even more than you would like me to agree with you!.... the second part is over the top.
Sorry I was unclear, what I meant was that 1480 becomes 480 with 1 single character dropped in Hebrew.
Quote:They are trying to back into the dates by postulating as a fact the building of a temple which has not yielded a single artifact...ever.
That's because no one's bothered to look. If you don't excavate, then you don't find, it's that simple.
Quote:Second, there is no indication of mass slavery in the Old Kingdom.
Again we seem to be in agreement to a certain degree. There's no direct indication from within Egyptian sources, however that isn't to say that there wasn't slavery in Egypt. If there was no slavery in Egypt then it would have stood out as being well against the norm of the surrounding regions, and you would just about expect to see sources from those regions talking about how Egypt "didn't have slavery", which of course we don't find either. So we go back to the original facts: 1. slavery was well and truly established in the region, 2. there's no indication that there wasn't slavery in Egypt.
Quote:It was simply not the economic model they used. Peasant farmers were recruited for building projects during the annual Nile flood periods. It functioned as a virtual social welfare program.
No one, especially myself, is suggesting that slaves were used for building projects.
Quote:But you simply cannot adjust the chronology by 1,000 years in order to try to make something fit. Occam's Razor comes into play and it is easier to decide that the bible stories are bullshit. It is not as if they are even original.
We have an account where a king's daughter adopts Moses when he is still a baby and reigns for a further 80 years, and then the succeeding king dies by drowning in the Nile less than a year later. We have good evidence that there was a king that reigned for 96 years, followed by a king that reigns for less than 1 year. Tell me, how many other Egyptian kings reigned for just 1 year? The entire scenario is incredibly unlikely, yet it exists in secular records entirely separate to the Biblical accounts.

Your point, Min, only stands if the Exodus had to have occurred within a specific time period, and you can prove that it didn't. The simple fact is, as you agreed with at the start of your last post, from the Biblical accounts we cannot draw a positive conclusion as to when the Exodus occurred. If you like, you could say that it couldn't have happened "any later" than 1250 BC, but besides that, it could have happened 3000 BC, 4000 BC, 5000 BC, 8000 BC, 12000 BC ... you get the picture!
  • Quote:Sargon, the mighty king, King of Agade, am I. My mother was a vestal, my father I knew not, while my father's brother dwelt in the mountains. In my city Azuripani, which is situated on the bank of the Euphrates, my mother, the vestal, bore me. In a hidden place she brought me forth. She laid me in a vessel made of reeds, closed my door with pitch, and dropped me down into the river, which did not drown me. The river carried me to Akki, the water carrier. Akki the water carrier lifted me up in the kindness of his heart, Akki the water carrier raised me as his own son, Akki the water carrier made of me his gardener. In my work as a gardener I was beloved by Ishtar, I became the king, and for forty-five years I held kingly sway.

-- Sargon I c. 2800 birth myth
Shares barely any relation to the Biblical account. And for all we know, dropping your unwanted babies off in the river could well have been a tradition and wide-spread in the region! Seems more plausible than people murdering newborn unwanted babies - and yet we know as gospel truth that such a thing has indeed been widespread in certain cultures!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Moira - September 24, 2013 at 5:34 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Aractus - October 20, 2013 at 12:51 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Anomalocaris - October 20, 2013 at 1:21 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Aractus - October 20, 2013 at 1:29 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by LastPoet - September 24, 2013 at 7:54 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Doubting Thomas - September 24, 2013 at 8:21 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Anomalocaris - September 24, 2013 at 8:59 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - September 24, 2013 at 11:52 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Moira - September 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Cinjin - October 20, 2013 at 2:52 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - September 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Polaris - October 20, 2013 at 1:23 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 20, 2013 at 1:15 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 20, 2013 at 3:02 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Polaris - October 20, 2013 at 3:15 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Aractus - October 21, 2013 at 5:31 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 20, 2013 at 11:56 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Polaris - October 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Aractus - October 22, 2013 at 4:00 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Owlix - October 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 24, 2013 at 7:03 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Aractus - October 25, 2013 at 6:39 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 24, 2013 at 9:56 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 25, 2013 at 2:30 pm
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by ThatMuslimGuy18 - October 27, 2013 at 11:57 am
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? - by Minimalist - October 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Egypt president calls for "religious revolution" mralstoner 11 1575 January 9, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  More nuttery from Egypt Justtristo 14 4964 January 9, 2012 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Koldaramor