Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egypt president calls for "religious revolution"
Egypt president calls for "religious revolution"
Sisi: "I say and repeat again that we are in need of a religious revolution".
Quote:Egypt’s Sisi Slams Islamism, Calls for ‘Religious Revolution’
http://www.frontpagemag.com/2015/raymond...evolution/
January 5, 2015 by Raymond Ibrahim

Speaking before Al-Azhar and the Awqaf Ministry on New Year’s Day, 2015, and in connection to Prophet Muhammad’s upcoming birthday, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, a vocal supporter for a renewed vision of Islam, made what must be his most forceful and impassioned plea to date on the subject.

Among other things, Sisi said that the “corpus of [Islamic] texts and ideas that we have sacralized over the years” are “antagonizing the entire world”; that it is not “possible that 1.6 billion people [reference to the world’s Muslims] should want to kill the rest of the world’s inhabitants—that is 7 billion—so that they themselves may live”; and that Egypt (or the Islamic world in its entirety) “is being torn, it is being destroyed, it is being lost—and it is being lost by our own hands.”
Nice sentiments, but it sounds like another intellectually bankrupt appeal to Muslim's better natures. A revolution would have to condemn the barbaric prophet Mohammed. Good luck with that.

I'm guessing ISIS has the whole Middle East spooked now, and each country knows the head-choppers will be on their doorstep if they don't offer another interpretation of Islam that moderate Muslims will fight for.
RE: Egypt president calls for "religious revolution"
RationalPoet............Sounds no different PR than what the Pope does when condemning the religious right. When you cant beat someone into submission, you water down your beliefs in order to ignore you still have nothing.
That's a nice sentiment and all, but it doesn't stop me from shuddering when I hear the phrase "religious revolution."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 5, 2015 at 10:43 am)Faith No More Wrote: That's a nice sentiment and all, but it doesn't stop me from shuddering when I hear the phrase "religious revolution."

Yea, when is our species going to learn that there is no more conquering to be done. The earth is a globe so ultimately you can only go in circles.
To institute a 'kinder gentler' Islam is going to require killing hordes of 'em.

I'd find it preferable they do it 'in house' but it ain't gonna be pretty.

4 Horsemen
Since the crazy islamists in Egypt already hate him that is a fairly shrewd move to see what the center has to say. Of course, he may find out that the center has nothing to say.
I do think religion is poison and that religion must be treated like a weapon. But this applies to ALL religions, not just Islam. Our species has always been able to, and will always be able to form groups centered around bad claims and seek power through those bad claims.

The best we can do with Islam is to get more of it's members to a Jeffersonian state and more of their liberals and moderates to water it down to a civil tolerant degree. But I do not see it ending overnight. It took 3,000 years for the polytheism of the Egyptians to fall.

I have no compunction having said that, to say fascist theocracies and sexism and the bigotry that holds the East hostage, must always be under the rightful scrutiny and condemnation.

Islam simply is living 200 years in the past. It needs it's own age of Enlightenment. I do see those cracks growing and the ones in Islam who especially kill their own prove our point that it does not deserve any blind value.
Quote:It took 3,000 years for the polytheism of the Egyptians to fall.

It didn't fall. It was battered down by mobs of xtian thugs.
(January 5, 2015 at 1:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:It took 3,000 years for the polytheism of the Egyptians to fall.

It didn't fall. It was battered down by mobs of xtian thugs.

Which means it did fall. It fell by force, not by neglect, but it still fell.
Iam from egypt and telling u
there is no such a thing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muslim Imam calls for Homosexual death 3 weeks before pulse nigh club shooting Drich 114 13965 July 7, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Trump Calls For Moratorium on Muslim Immigrants mralstoner 111 14873 January 6, 2016 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Interview with president of Ex-Muslims of North America: Muhammad Syed ReptilianPeon 1 1745 September 29, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? Moira 32 9770 October 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  More nuttery from Egypt Justtristo 14 4964 January 9, 2012 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Koldaramor