Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the forums; question about parents
New to the forums; question about parents
Hi everyone,

While I've been an atheist for the past 3 years, I'm brand new to the forums. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what I'm about to explain...I recently told my parents for the first time that I'm an atheist. My parents are both Christian, my mom more so than my dad. The issue of my atheism came up because my mom, who is a Facebook friend of mine, was upset by my 'likes' of atheist pages, as well as some sharing of atheist photos, appearing in her newsfeed. Upon talking to her about my atheism, I have learned that she is a very closeminded individual who lacks some basic critical thinking skills. Now, she has adjusted her Facebook settings so that she can no longer see my atheist likes and photos in her newsfeed.

My question is, is this behaviour any better than something like homophobia? Does this constitute discrimination? After asking her point blank whether she accepts that I'm an atheist, she said that she does. To draw out the analogy with homophobia, this situation seems very similar to one where I come out to her as gay, and she claims to 'accept' that, but then she adjusts her Facebook settings so that she doesn't have to see me 'liking' and sharing gay rights photos and pages. The only salient difference I can see is that being atheist is a choice while being gay is not, but then again most homophobes think that being gay is a choice anyway. I've been thinking about asking her straight up how her behaviour differs from something like homophobia, but I wanted to get others' opinions first. This behaviour doesn't bother me that much (at least right now), but I don't want to let her carry on with this behaviour if it is truly discriminatory. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
New to the forums; question about parents - by jpphilologist - March 1, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3156 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Hello Forums. Nimbus 20 1941 February 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5989 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Aloha! New with a big question! MandaMaui 68 12270 November 13, 2017 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  New to the Forums RiddledWithFear 24 3088 November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3504 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3312 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3070 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  New to the Forums The Incredible Atheist 27 4000 September 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New to the atheist forums MusicLovingAtheist 18 3948 September 2, 2014 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Ben Davis