Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new atheist's theories on meta-like physical existence
RE: A new atheist's theories on meta-like physical existence
Rhythm. Thanks for taking the time. I like where your'e going. First off, hilarious DOUCH-E-GOD description. The Calvinist God does appear to be predestined for douchness. I came to a point where, after questioning my evangelical beliefs that, if the biblical god were true, I couldn't support that system. I would go to hell before signing on to the idea of good people burning in eternal hell for not worshiping an egotisitical Deity. That is just sick. With that, I became much more open to abandoning the God-Myth.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, if there is a higher power of some sort, the "most likely possibility" is that there is not a true meta-physical entity, but simply one that naturally evolved via technology and/or genetically to a much greater degree than mankind.

Also, can we really discount a previous human civilization? There is evidence that there has been five mass extinctions with the worst occurring some 250 million years ago. That leaves a lot of time unaccounted for considering that the earth is 4.5 billion years old. Human civilization sprung up even after those mass extinction events, which speaks to the resiliency of life itself. It is probably argued that DNA continued to evolve through these mass extinction events and that evolution of the human species was probably helped by these mass extinction events. the reason I say you can't disprove a prior civilation is because the evidence for such life could have been destroyed during the mass extension event, such as mass volcanic activity of a meteor.

I'll have to learn more about Epicurus as my understanding is admittedly elementary.

So, are we all alone? Are there beings who have reached the singularity (in the Kurzweil sense of the term) and now can control life itself? Kurweil's projections are lofty, but who could argue that a civilization 1000 years beyond ours couldn't control life? Once you can control life,, i.e. eternal life, aren't you God-like?

Messages In This Thread
RE: A new atheist's theories on meta-like physical existence - by freedeepthink - September 30, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DNA Proves Existence of a Designer CDF47 13834 1062182 April 21, 2020 at 11:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Definition of physical robvalue 17 1552 May 21, 2016 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Debunking of Modern Evolutionary and Cosmological Theories gomlbrobro 108 14947 April 26, 2015 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Do the multiverse theories prove the existence of... Mudhammam 3 2200 January 12, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Existence of a soul etc, continued... lilphil1989 10 2895 April 15, 2011 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused