Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now I'm Not a Believer
Now I'm Not a Believer
Hello. Thank you for having this forum here. I recently stopped being a "believer" -- and by that I mean *very* recently -- so I sought this community to reach out to.

For most of as long as I can remember - my position about God has been as follows --- identifying as what I called "philosophically agnostic - personally theistic". What that meant was that I believed that the existence of God could neither be proven nor disproven (hence "philosophically agnostic") yet personally, I believed in God (hence "personally theistic").

So in short --- I believed that one could neither prove that God exists or that God doesn't exist - but I maintained *personally* to *myself* *believe* that God *does* exist. This begs the next question --- what exactly does *that* mean? And this second question is one that for years I avoided examining -- but very recently when I finally decided I *should* examine it - that was what led to my de-conversion.

It was then that I realized that I can not logically justify continuing to believe in God --- that though one can not *prove* God exists, and therefore God's existence is not entirely *impossible*, it is so *improbable* that it may as *well* be impossible.

You see --- I personally believed God existed --- but also believed God's existence to be unprovable. Furthermore --- if I were to meet someone else who like me believed that God's existence could neither be proven nor disproven ---- but unlike me-at-the-time believed God did *not* exist ---- I would believe that though both of us couldn't possibly be right on the *second* point, the other person could just-as-well be the right one as myself -- and I could just as well be wrong.

So what does it mean to "believe" something if I believe that someone who's opinion is incompatible with mine can just as well be right as me?

At first -- I examined this question focusing on what I meant by "believe" --- but eventually. I came up with all kinds of explanations hinging on what I refer to as "vague probabilistic logic". But though what I call "vague probabilistic logic" can at times be used to explain disagreement between two rational beings on various matters, I do not think it was an adequate explanation of how I could "believe" in something while also believing that someone who disagrees could just as likely be right as I am.

So the scrutiny fell on whether or not I was using the term "God" consistently.

I realized that for a *very* long time, there was only one category of things that I had had any Faith in God ever being willing to do for me --- that being to open and unleash reserved potentials within myself that otherwise are dormant. However, do you need an omniscient or omnipotent being to do this? No --- your subconscious mind can do this for you just fine.

In short, I *wasn't* using the term "God" consistently --- but the God which I believed in, I had no evidence that this "God" was one-and-the-same with the more *common* concept of "God" who's existence I could neither prove nor disprove.

The only "God" I had any basis for believing in was just a personal spiritual source --- and I had no evidence that this "God" was any more than a part of my subconscious brain.

Of course --- I came to this realizaton before I was entirely *ready* to know this --- so I have some issues with that --- and hope that on this forum, I can *also* find resources to learn to *cope* with the loss of a close imaginary-friend.

Messages In This Thread
Now I'm Not a Believer - by remagination - February 26, 2015 at 2:13 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Norman Humann - February 26, 2015 at 2:36 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by aemorrow - February 26, 2015 at 3:01 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by robvalue - February 26, 2015 at 3:13 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Minimalist - February 26, 2015 at 3:13 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Aoi Magi - February 26, 2015 at 3:17 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Alex K - February 26, 2015 at 3:24 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by remagination - February 26, 2015 at 3:54 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Dystopia - February 28, 2015 at 9:09 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by LostLocke - February 28, 2015 at 10:10 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by remagination - February 28, 2015 at 10:30 am
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by LostLocke - February 28, 2015 at 7:42 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by AFTT47 - February 28, 2015 at 5:57 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Neo-Scholastic - February 28, 2015 at 7:18 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by remagination - February 28, 2015 at 8:02 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Minimalist - February 28, 2015 at 8:24 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Jenny A - February 28, 2015 at 9:03 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Jenny A - February 28, 2015 at 8:13 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by dyresand - February 28, 2015 at 8:17 pm
RE: Now I'm Not a Believer - by Pizza - February 28, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1767 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  Lone non-believer Just another girl 13 2535 May 22, 2013 at 3:14 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  How I became a non-believer SleepingDemon 7 2726 April 18, 2010 at 4:22 am
Last Post: fr0d0