Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So my story of becoming a non-believer:
So my story of becoming a non-believer:
I was raised in a Christian home, my mother being like a super religious freak and my father being more of a moderate. I initially turned away from religion due to my anger with the hypocrites that preach but don't follow their own words. For example, my mother cheating on my dad and getting a divorce. After the anger went away I decided to look into the issue further and found no logic to be had in religion, as well as various YouTube atheists making better points than any Christian I've ever heard... even TheAmazingAtheist can do that. Prior to that I was a religious freak, a creationist and etc. for about 19 years. However, there were a few times when I doubted the religion prior to any of this, asking if anyone has noticed the similarities between god and Santa, or thinking my grandmother's description of heaven was very much like a fairy tale. I also would always stick up for gay people when I heard the bigots around me go on their rants against them. Still, I held onto religion through those times, I guess as I was conditioned to do, and boy, am I glad I left it. It's full of hatred and hypocrisy and illogical nonsense. Sadly, the brainwashing still has an effect on me. Occasionally I will feel guilty about my views. It's not as bad now as it was the first few years of it, but occasionally it's there. Ah brainwashing, does terrible things to you. Makes you feel almost like you broke up with someone for coming to the realization that god is imaginary.
RE: So my story of becoming a non-believer:
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry that religion has left its ugly mark on you. This is why I'm so against indoctrinating children, you leave them either brainwashed for life or fighting out to reality with scars to prove it.

Well done on caring about the truth, and I hope that in time the hurt will fade. In most cases, I've heard that it does.

"When you realize Santa is actually a far less ridiculous proposition than the biblical God, you're ready to be become an atheist."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: So my story of becoming a non-believer:
Hey, thanks for sharing your story, which mirrors mine in many ways.

I also feel that nagging that I'm going down the wrong path, in denial, all that. My Christian friends would tell me that this is the Holy Ghost trying to draw me back. The problem is that even if I came back, all the same questions would still be there. It's not totally unlike how I felt when I broke up with a girlfriend once. "Don't you feel terrible? Don't you miss her? Aren't you afraid that she was 'the one' and you were just too selfish?" I still think those thoughts when I'm around that girl, but I realize that getting back together with her would bring me back face to face with the same reasons I had for breaking up the first time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1912 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5279 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Now I'm Not a Believer remagination 19 3670 February 28, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4523 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4536 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope
  Gradually non-religious unno-Dey 8 1660 January 10, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2300 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3325 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4488 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  Another Story Raevoryx 9 3799 August 13, 2014 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Raevoryx