Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice?
I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice?
Okay, I feel like my mom is starting to emerge to the atheist side. One time she said "I'm starting to sound like an Atheist, but I'm not an atheist. I'm a christian." This raised some questions from me. Because I noticed she's showing signs that she's coming to the atheist side. When she said this, it seemed to confirm what I've been thinking. I'm a little bit nervous though, because she claims the belief in god helped her avoid suicide. I suppose it's possible that ditching the belief in God would help her even more because knowing that SHE is the one who saved herself from suicide may be empowering to her, but then again, when I realized God doesn't exist, it devastated me... and I haven't gone through anything near as bad as she went through.

I stopped discussing religion with her, because I'm not always nice about it... but if I'm right and she is becoming an atheist, I dunno what to do. I suck at being there for people. I feel that if she does end up becoming an atheist (or maybe she is already and she's in the closet perhaps to herself) she may need someone to be there for her... i.e another atheist.

Sorry for rambling... do you have any advice on what I'd do to be there for her should she come out as an atheist? Thanks a bunch.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3

Messages In This Thread
I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? - by IanHulett - October 16, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking meaningful advice from atheists Ad Astra 85 5627 May 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: h311inac311
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2741 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4656 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7338 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24443 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2528 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  Iceland is becoming atheist. Jehanne 13 2722 February 8, 2018 at 12:08 am
Last Post: haig
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17032 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13351 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok