Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Siege of Mecca - a question about the Mahdi
The Siege of Mecca - a question about the Mahdi
I have just finished reading an excellent book (non-fiction) called "The Siege of Mecca" by Yaroslav Trofimov

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Siege-Mecca-...0141034068

On 20 November 1979, a large group of gunmen led by the fanatic Juhayman bin Seif Uteybi stormed the Grand Mosque in Mecca and proclaimed one of their number - Mohammed Abdullah al Qahtani – as the Mahdi. (The Mahdi is the prophesied redeemer of Islam who will rule for seven, nine, or nineteen years - according to differing interpretations - before the Day of Judgment).

This book is well worth a read – it’s very well written and has loads of information about Islam, the architecture of the Grand Mosque etc. The author manages to convey the deep sense of panic and rage spreading across the Middle East at the violation of Islam’s holiest shrine, the Saudi Arabian government’s desperate struggle to regain control of the mosque, and the consequences of the action that are still felt today.

And it raised a question for me. According to the hadith, the Madhi cannot be killed, at least not in the first few years of his reign.
http://www.mahdi.com/article.php_id=30233.html

But of course, the proclaimed Mahdi was killed by Saudi troops during the battle to retake the mosque. And this was taken as evidence that he was not the Mahdi.

My question is this: faith eschews exactly this kind of physical evidence. So might Mohammed Abdullah al Qahtani have actually been the Mahdi?
After all, it is only his physical death that argues against this, and faith is not a matter of considering the physical evidence, surely?

In which case, wasn't it a bit of an own goal to kill him?
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.

Messages In This Thread
The Siege of Mecca - a question about the Mahdi - by FebruaryOfReason - March 15, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Ka'ba caught fire during the siege in 692. WinterHold 1 400 August 21, 2021 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Female cops for the first time in Mecca WinterHold 50 3903 July 24, 2021 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Cockroaches Invade Mecca WinterHold 18 2311 January 9, 2019 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Saudis don't much faith in Allah: security to improve in Mecca ReptilianPeon 1 1033 June 30, 2016 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Allah can't even protect Mecca properly... ReptilianPeon 61 11869 September 25, 2015 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Ahmed Alhassan (pbuh) the MAhdi talks about evolution and islam alquersh 0 1185 October 27, 2013 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: alquersh
  The Mahdi (pbuh) to athiests alquersh 1 1341 October 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Mecca Time thesummerqueen 1 981 November 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist