Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness'
Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness'
This is something I feel strongly about. I've been guilty of it at multiple points in my life and I see a lot of people affected by it or buying into it everywhere.

Basically, the tyranny of happiness is the phenomenon of 'just be positive', 'think positively' etc. It's the extensively misguided mentality of 'if you stay positive, everything will turn out ok'.

I'm not against being happy or genuinely a positive person. There are of course people who could benefit from learning to pay more attention to the positives rather than the negatives. However,  the tyranny of happiness is the belief that all your problems and misfortunes are just the result of your negative thoughts and they can be fixed with positive ones. And as outlandish as it may sound put that way, it's everywhere. Movies, books, just generally rooted in people's minds.

The danger of this way of thinking is that it disallows a person to feel negative emotions, making them something wrong, a symptom of some core issue. You're not happy, then what's wrong? With you, your life, your brain? It makes people feel responsible for their own unhappiness and doesn't let them authentically experience it, making them feel worse.

Negative emotions are human. Pushing them away and forcing oneself not to feel them will only make them come bubbling up stronger. A person can't feel happy all the time, or even realistically most of the time. As one of my favorite people JP Sears put it, happiness is our favorite emotion, but it's not our only emotion. When you're subscribed to the mentality of 'I must feel happy or there is something wrong', you don't allow yourself to feel truly sad, angry or afraid... or happy.

It's something personal to me, so I just wanted to get it out there. I think it's tremendously important to understand that you are human and as such will inevitably feel all of the emotions that come with it. And just because you aren't positive and cheerful every single day doesn't mean there's something wrong with you.

This is also why I hate the question 'how are you?'. Because if I say anything other than happy when I'm not happy, I'll be met with concerned questions about what happened and then told to not worry about it or just look at the positives.

Here are some videos talking about the subject or related to it that gave me the idea of posting this thread.

Psychologist Susan David:

JP Sears' video:

Very interesting vlog from zefrank, which made me think a while back:

Messages In This Thread
Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by Longhorn - January 27, 2017 at 8:58 am
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by Tonus - January 27, 2017 at 9:11 am
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by Tonus - January 30, 2017 at 10:56 am
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by Longhorn - January 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by Jesster - January 27, 2017 at 1:07 pm
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by Jesster - January 27, 2017 at 1:32 pm
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by brewer - January 27, 2017 at 2:59 pm
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by J a c k - January 27, 2017 at 9:12 pm
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by Foxaèr - January 28, 2017 at 1:28 am
RE: Let's talk about the 'tyranny of happiness' - by johan - January 30, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's be different Foxaèr 38 2448 August 17, 2023 at 12:38 am
Last Post: no one
  Let's see your electric car do THIS... onlinebiker 18 1153 November 11, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Let them eat spam! Foxaèr 33 2080 September 13, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are you going to let him do that? onlinebiker 4 1060 August 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  They let these people breed onlinebiker 17 1430 February 17, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2065 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
  Let's (re-)watch a series on Netflix together. Mystic 33 3787 October 18, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2252 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Let's start some conspiracy theories. Gawdzilla Sama 76 10595 July 13, 2018 at 12:11 pm
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5944 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch