Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Highest Authority You Recognize?
RE: What is the Highest Authority You Recognize?
(April 20, 2017 at 12:43 pm)Macoleco Wrote: Science

I wouldn't leave it at that.

There is a difference between the tool "scientific method" and the individual human using the tool the "scientist".

Russia has nukes, Saudi Arabia has Nukes and those weapons require scientists to maintain them. What matters is the ethics of the individual, which should never be confused with the tool itself.

Don't confuse the hammer as being the same as the human using the hammer. A hammer can be used to build a house, but it can also be used to smash someone's skull in.

I put it like this. I value facts. I value objective neutrality in using scientific method. I value the science that leads to less suffering. I don't like that corporate scientists lie to the public to protect products that pollute. I don't like military scientists who support dictators like Un or theocracies like Saudi Arabia whom would use science to create weapons to threaten the world with.

But I do value the neutral tool of scientific method with applied ethically, like a doctor has an oath to heal and reduce suffering.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Highest Authority You Recognize? - by Brian37 - April 20, 2017 at 12:56 pm
RE: What is the Highest Authority You Recognize? - by Sal - April 21, 2017 at 8:17 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Blacks have superior dicks, then explain highest risk of infecting AIDS Konboa 8 1323 September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Highest Rank of "Moron" Minimalist 2 476 October 10, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Your internet privacy is now for sale to the highest bidder in Trumpistan Jackalope 60 6305 March 30, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  NI election turnout highest since Good Friday Agreement account_inactive 1 668 March 4, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  I think I'm starting to recognize the real issue with American politics now NuclearEnergy 24 5521 January 15, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Illinois to become 15th state to recognize marriage equality Ryantology 155 30991 February 14, 2014 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Minimalist