Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think religion is holding society back?
RE: Do you think religion is holding society back?
(June 27, 2017 at 10:38 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(June 27, 2017 at 5:09 pm)SteveII Wrote: To answer the thread question: Do you think religion is holding society back?, you have to define "back from what".

Scientifically, no. In fact, Christianity was instrumental in the early progress of modern science (that's why it developed almost entirely in the west) because it taught that the world and nature was created and entirely discoverable and NOT endowed with spiritual or mystical qualities--like the rest of the world still believed.

Some Utopian society? No. I think it has been proven over and over again that people do not play nicely with other different than themselves. I don't think there is any evidence that religious differences has done anywhere near the harm than non religious events of history.

Morality? No. In fact, I think religion has helped develop the general morality we see today in western countries. Most of us would agree that the western morality is superior to other parts of the world where differences arise.

Imploding? Yes. No matter what you think about religion, it has a very real, largely positive, psychological effect on people

How someone can be this wrong and still draw breath is a testimony to the vitality of the human organism, endowed by evolution. If one considers in a rational way what harm people can use religion for, religion can be seen to be a pustule on the entire body of humankind, not just the backside.

Holding back? How about where the RCC has only recently allowed that Galileo was actually right? Maybe you can bring Giordano Bruno back from right before he was burned at the stake for heresy? Maybe you can also bring back those people who were tortured during the Inquisition? FFS, you people apologizing for religion ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Morality? Don't delude yourself. Go look at the reality of what modern day evangelicals are doing in Uganda, just for example. It isn't any different from the kind of sickness visited on people since religion gained a foothold in the human psyche, millenia ago. I don't generally respond to posts like yours because of the amount of ignorance of xtian (and Muslim, for that matter) arrogance at what your kind claim to be the case for beneficial aspects of their religion. The reality is that the amount of horror visited on their fellow human beings because of religion is incalculable.

All good examples of the evil religion can do.  I think it happens because they believe what they do is for a greater good.  Sorry about the flames, Galileo, but it is God's work we do!  Wipe out some infidel?  Why not, we do it for God!  Anytime people locate the rationale for their action outside themselves, there is reason to worry.  If people want to entertain the notion that there is something beyond themselves I'd greatly appreciate it if they'd remain a little more humble about the extent to which they know what it wants from them.  Invariably, what it wants ends up being what they want but stripped of any self doubt.

(June 27, 2017 at 11:04 pm)Godscreated Wrote:
(June 27, 2017 at 7:23 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Seems to me all he showed was what he had done.  Which portions, of newtons work, if you had to guess...were jesus?  

All of it, his talents came from his creator, another belief Newton understood.

This just in: Newton's creator's talents came that creator's creator. But don't worry, there is no infinite regress here. Turns out our creator's creator is the alpha/omega .. by definition. Cool

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think religion is holding society back? - by Whateverist - June 28, 2017 at 7:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 651 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4924 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1775 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2789 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2753 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6127 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Do you think aliens made us Roberto 73 11637 January 25, 2018 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Really makes you think Astonished 7 1957 September 25, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Do you think that this old hag considers herself a Good Christian? NuclearEnergy 9 2601 July 22, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 19072 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79