Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think religion is holding society back?
RE: Do you think religion is holding society back?
(June 28, 2017 at 9:49 am)SteveII Wrote:
(June 27, 2017 at 5:30 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Oh, is that how that happened?  -and here I thought it was some sort of period of enlightenment, where rationality became prominant, on the backs of some sort of, oh..whats the word..renaissance, of classical pagan thinking?  

Turns out the christers opened their bibles and christed all the science into existence.  
Surveying all the world's civilizations up until that point seems to indicate that the Christian worldview was important in the development of modern science. At the very least, it was the most conducive worldview up to that point.
You mean, other than the pagan worldview out of which science arose....the one that didn't burn heretics for doing science - the one that both early christers and later catholics cribbed -their- science from?  

There is no version of history in which christianity can be called a friend or conducive to science.  It was there, resisting science..at every step.  It's still there, resisting science, at every step.  Today, christers like yourself would like to claim what your forefathers attempted to abort as their own baby.  

Sure, now that it's all grown up and christianity looks silly compared to it, you want a piece of the science action. Who wouldn't, but that ship sailed a long, long time ago. Yall had your shot. You blew it. No amount of faithful retconning will change that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think religion is holding society back? - by The Grand Nudger - June 28, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 652 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4926 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1781 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2791 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2754 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6131 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Do you think aliens made us Roberto 73 11639 January 25, 2018 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Really makes you think Astonished 7 1958 September 25, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Do you think that this old hag considers herself a Good Christian? NuclearEnergy 9 2601 July 22, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 19075 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79