Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:09 pm

Poll: How moral is moral enough?
This poll is closed.
It is enough that a person is pro-socially oriented with a well developed capacity for empathy which places a very high priority on not harming others in a manner one would not welcome if the positions were reversed.
100.00%
4 100.00%
In addition to the above, a person should articulate a moral hierarchy of concerns and strive never to act toward others in a manner inconsistent with that system, or else feel a well deserved sense of failure.
0%
0 0%
In addition to the above, that system should to some degree prescribe actions taken to benefit others .. not merely avoid harming them.
0%
0 0%
In addition to all of the above, acting in a manner consistent with ones moral system should at all times be the most important consideration in ones life.
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough?
So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough?
I personally find it more and more difficult to stay awake through a thread on morality .. so WTF am I doing starting a new one?

Well I guess I'm more interested in asking what its place in human affairs should be than in deciding between objective/subjective, absolute/relative, etc.  Clearly morality has its place in child rearing but once someone has established a basically prosocial disposition what more is required?  How specific should we hope the moral toolbox of a community-ready neophyte citizen to be?  Is it enough that a community member avoid harming others or doe we expect them to devote their attention to maximizing their moral excellence .. helping the older ladies across the street, charitable giving, that sort of thing.

If we think moral excellence is important, is it the most important consideration or are there others nearly, equally or even more important?  In other words, do we hope that moral considerations will be the prime determinant in how a person orders their life, or is it enough that they cause no harm while dancing to the drummer they hear?  In short, how moral is moral enough?

Gawd help me I guess I'd better come up with a poll, if only to keep Khem happy.

Here are the choices I can think of.  Pick the one that comes closest and elaborate or skip them altogether and say in your own way how much morality is moral enough?

1) It is enough that a person is pro-socially oriented with a well developed capacity for empathy which places a very high priority on not harming others in a manner one would not welcome if the positions were reversed.

2) In addition to 1, to attain peer-of-the-realm status, a person should articulate a moral hierarchy of concerns and strive never to act toward others in a manner inconsistent with that system, or else feel a well deserved sense of failure.

3) In addition to 1 & 2, that system should to some degree prescribe actions taken to benefit others .. not merely avoid harming them. 

4) In addition to 1 - 3, acting in a manner consistent with ones moral system should at all times be the most important consideration in ones life.

I think I'll make this poll public and one choice only.

Messages In This Thread
So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? - by Whateverist - July 16, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1905 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10394 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37686 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1345 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8324 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3565 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4450 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. Mystic 210 24641 November 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Morality WinterHold 24 2893 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 6974 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet