Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary?
RE: If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary?
(August 5, 2017 at 11:22 am)Khemikal Wrote: That's an equivocative use of the word faith that is, likely, an artifact of your having been religious and both heard and used such an equivocation to make exactly the sorts of comments you're making now.  

I don't change my life based upon a meteor hitting the earth because no change I can make will affect it-NASA, however, jad both the NEO prgram and work groups assigned to come up with a solution.  I do change my life to better align with consequences that will not materialize in my own life - but will in my children's.  I have zero faith in political parties, and I would suggest that the people who approach politics through faith are, likely, faithfully religious as well.  People look at the party platform and how it aligns with their own political opinions, the history of a candidates uccess in getting x or y done, and their credibility when it comes to delivering on a campaign promise - or at least attempting it.  Then, they pull the lever.  Sure, some of them faith their way through it, thinking jesus wants them to vote republican - but hey, those people are nuts, so?  

Wink

Obviously do not realize I never believed or accept the word faith as a Muslim. It was not even a concept in the religion. Faith did not become a word I understood in religious conversation until I became an atheist and I started studying Christianity, as I never paid attention to churches anyways when I was younger. 

Also you just described what I was stating earlier about faith. The fact you did not change your action is what I mean when I say we have faith in things without good reason. Everyone here seems to be adding a lot of religious baggage to the word I never encountered until New-Agers came along. I am also not claiming that everybody exhibits faith in their life or at least not to a great degree.

Whenever you vote you are exhibiting faith considering the likliness of a politician doing as he says is very low. I am an avid voter as well so I know that for every screwhead I choose the odds are not in my favor although I still partake in the act as if my wildest dreams will come true.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ

Messages In This Thread
RE: If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? - by ComradeMeow - August 5, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13236 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16633 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1546 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11529 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58519 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4514 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6394 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4385 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4627 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9166 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII