Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering my options
Considering my options
This morning I spent about half an hour looking at a commercial property with a real estate agent. 

There is one parking space for handicapped parking and about 15 more regular spaces. 
There is an ADA approved public bathroom. 
Plumbing would have to be roughed in for 5-6 shampoo basins, a washer, a double sink for the color bar, a double sink for the supply room and 5 pedicure chairs. 
Electric would have to be updated to accommodate more outlets (six per salon station). 
I plan on having at least six salon chairs (stations), a separate, ventilated area for manicures and pedicures, three facial/waxing rooms, and a color bar where all hair color consultations and work would be done. 
I will need appliances for the supply room: Washer, dryer, double sink, cabinets, counter space and shelving to hold all our inventory.
I will need office furniture, computers and supplies for the reception area. I will need display cases for the retail merchandise. 
Ventilation will have to be added to the nail area, as is required by law here.

There is also access to a downstairs area which is approx. 2200 more sq. ft. I don't need it now, but as my business grows, it would be great to have as an addition. I could literally turn my dream of owning just a salon into owning an entire day spa operation because I could put steam rooms and massage rooms down there. 

Rent would be $8.00 per square foot, plus another $1.20 for CAM (Community Area Maintenance) - The owner takes care of the outside: landscaping, snow removal etc. 

I have to start working on a business plan and proposal to submit to the SBA in order to get a loan. I'd like to reasonably pay two years worth of rent up front. Better if there is a discount for doing that. I will need a loan for the following:
first two years rent, plumbing and electrical updates, remodeling, contractors, supplies and equipment, retail supplies, appliances, fixtures, employee salaries, my own salary, liability and malpractice insurance and enough left over for miscellaneous expenses. 

Given what I learned in school - I'm looking roughly at between $200,000 to 300,000 for start up costs. Obviously less would be better. I'm hoping to hire at least four employees to start ( an Esthetician, a nail tech and two stylists)

I have been given paperwork on the layout of the building. If this place doesn't work out, there are other locations that the real estate agent has for me to look at, but I was primarily interested in this for its location and proximity to my house (my house literally sits behind this building. I can see it from my front porch) and it's in my school district. You all have actually seen video of the back of this property before. When I posted my thunderstorm vids, it showed part of Benfield Electric, which operates out of a larger part of the basement part of this building. 

I really want to do this. I'm terrified and excited at the same time. I don't have a name picked out for my salon yet. I'm serious about this so I'm open to name suggestions, but keep in mind, the name needs to be professional and it has to be catchy at the same time. Someone already owns Curl Up and Dye in my county (Yes I checked. It was a really excellent play on words).

Pics to get an idea:
Obviously, that signage will have to change. And there is another set of double doors that you can't see to the right.
[Image: 3CqWBIV.jpg]

Part of the basement/warehouse area:
[Image: 5p7syoT.jpg]

More of the upper level where the salon would be: 
[Image: tfrNFfP.jpg]

Layout - upper level:
[Image: 20mJ8UY.jpg]

Layout Lower level: 

[Image: hrdgmOK.jpg]

There is a huge section that wasn't even photographed here. 

I like it. I want it. There's loans to apply for and proposal packages to develop. There's probably six months to a year's worth of things I would have to do before I could even apply for this building. But this one seems to fit my needs and is within walking distance. I could literally walk to work. That garage can also house a mobile unit. So in the future, I could have a mobile salon and offer services for those who are housebound. If this doesn't work out - there is another place a mile up the road on the same street. Looks promising as well, but that's for sale, not for lease and slightly less square footage than this one. Both sites see about 20,000 cars a day on the road. 

Okay... opinions/name suggestions/critiques/happy thoughts and opposition to my idea are all welcome.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Messages In This Thread
Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 10:53 am
RE: Considering my options - by GUBU - August 30, 2017 at 11:00 am
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 11:16 am
RE: Considering my options - by GUBU - August 30, 2017 at 1:40 pm
RE: Considering my options - by The Industrial Atheist - August 30, 2017 at 11:04 am
RE: Considering my options - by Whateverist - August 30, 2017 at 11:07 am
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 11:23 am
RE: Considering my options - by Little lunch - August 30, 2017 at 11:08 am
RE: Considering my options - by mlmooney89 - August 30, 2017 at 11:08 am
RE: Considering my options - by Aoi Magi - August 30, 2017 at 11:12 am
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 11:38 am
RE: Considering my options - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2017 at 11:23 am
RE: Considering my options - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2017 at 11:32 am
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 11:52 am
RE: Considering my options - by Thumpalumpacus - August 30, 2017 at 8:24 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 9:12 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Mystical - August 30, 2017 at 11:37 am
RE: Considering my options - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2017 at 11:49 am
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 12:04 pm
RE: Considering my options - by brewer - August 30, 2017 at 11:57 am
RE: Considering my options - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2017 at 12:03 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 12:25 pm
RE: Considering my options - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2017 at 12:09 pm
RE: Considering my options - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2017 at 1:20 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 1:30 pm
RE: Considering my options - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2017 at 1:35 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 1:46 pm
RE: Considering my options - by GUBU - August 30, 2017 at 3:15 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Mystical - August 30, 2017 at 5:18 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 6:01 pm
RE: Considering my options - by The Valkyrie - August 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Joods - August 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Thumpalumpacus - August 30, 2017 at 9:29 pm
RE: Considering my options - by Seraphina - August 30, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am seriously considering trying this. Brian37 51 1882 May 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire