Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 6:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we discard achievements made by unlikable people?
RE: Should we discard achievements made by unlikable people?
(December 21, 2017 at 8:05 am)Hammy Wrote:
(December 20, 2017 at 5:15 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I think you are seeing all people as monolithic, as though psychopathy is a property like skin color.  I see people as a complex interaction of parts, and I believe that most people have the capacity to willingly do harm to others, given the right social climate or other conditions. 

I see psychopathy as a diagnosis . . . So yes you do either have it or you don't. Obviously there will be a spectrum and there are people who are almost psychopaths. But almost a psychopath is not a psychopath. The experts determine whether someone is a psychopath or not.

The fact we all might have psychopathic traits to some extent doesn't make us all psychopaths. Just as the fact that we're all on the autism spectrum to some extent doesn't mean everybody gets to be diagnosed with autism.

I'm not sure why you've made the whole thread about psychopathy.  You introduced the word then proceeded to just keep arguing about exactly what it is.

I'm talking about the fact that people aren't monolithic.  You can use whatever term you want for good and bad instincts, good and bad intent, and so on.  I believe people are different in different contexts, both internal and external.  You really have to know a lot about a person and their history to understand how they've arrived at good or bad behaviors.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should we discard achievements made by unlikable people? - by bennyboy - December 21, 2017 at 10:04 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On whether the Word made flesh is a category mistake LinuxGal 2 472 November 17, 2022 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4589 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed" DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 50 7115 November 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Would any of you drive a car made by Darwin's ideas? professor 85 11799 March 14, 2014 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Cato