Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:27 pm

Poll: What is your pro-life position?
This poll is closed.
Abortion is immoral but not a matter for the legal system
28.57%
2 28.57%
Doctors and/or mothers should be prosecuted for aborting
0%
0 0%
Mothers should also be physically forced to come to term in some circumstances
0%
0 0%
Other
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you're pro-life, how far do you take that?
RE: If you're pro-life, how far do you take that?
(August 8, 2018 at 9:37 am)Aroura Wrote: We do actually license things to prevent harm, or make us better able to punish those who commit it.

What do you think the purpose of ID and licenses are? Why do I need a lice to fish? To prevent over fishing and therefore harm. To drive? To make sure you are able to operate a vehicle as safely as possible, and track you down if you hurt someone.

I'm sure there are some examples of laws not protecting society and those living in it from harm, at least in intent, but mostly that is the very point.

Also, I never said laws are based on morals. I said morals are based on harm, as are laws. All oif which we are constantly reevaluating and updating... Hopefully.

I think we are getting tripped up on semantics. Some laws are based on "harm"... sure... by why? Because harm is generally regarded as "bad." As I see it, actions that cause harm to persons or the environment are morally wrong. Therefore, laws which aim to prevent those particular actions are based in morality... according to my way of seeing things.

But I suppose one could simply remove the whole step of attributing moral intention to laws which seek to reduce harm, which is what you have done. That doesn't work for me personally, because I ask myself the question "why is it wrong to cause harm?" Ultimately, that is an ethical question for which I have fashioned an answer by contemplating moral philosophy. A person need not go that route in their reasoning to end up at the same place I have, so that's why I say we are getting tripped up in semantics.

As for reevaluating and updating morality... absolutely. That must be done. The more information we have, the better moral decisions we can make. One of my biggest problems with religion is that it chains moral reasoning to a collection of edicts penned in the stone/bronze ages.

I see morality like any other thing in nature. Let's look at the solar system. We used to have the Aristotelian/Ptolemaic model with the earth in the center and the sun just beyond the moon, Mercury, and Venus. The model was wrong, but that's because those who constructed them didn't know a great many facts about the universe. However, we needed that wrong model to get to the right one, and (in fairness) that model--wrong as it was--established many principles that pointed us in the right direction (the general idea of circular orbits, that Venus and Mercury are between us and the sun, etc). Wrong as it was, it was the best model we could put together with the facts that were available.

Likewise, we once considered slavery permissible. We were wrong, but as we developed morally, we were able to arrive at a sort "Copernican revolution" in ethics and realize our mistake. Just like facts about celestial bodies and laws of physics made us batter able to construct accurate models of the cosmos, so too will better knowledge of psychology, sociology, economics, etc. enable us to make more accurate moral models.

In response to the other detail, I would reassert that there is nothing inherently harmful about fishing without a license. Overfishing is harmful. A system of licensure seeks to minimize the amount of this harmful behavior. But there is nothing inherently harmful about fishing without a license.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? - by vulcanlogician - August 9, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 651 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3539 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9505 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6600 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7797 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2829 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8281 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee
  "Jesus take the wheel, 'cause I sure ain't!" Gawdzilla Sama 19 2125 December 20, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Christians take on the more nihilistic atheists henryp 63 10304 January 1, 2016 at 5:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What proof would it take for me to believe in god? Lemonvariable72 37 8113 October 17, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: IATIA