Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuck this stupid fucking country
Fuck this stupid fucking country
We were so excited to come here. We told or daughter what a great experience she was going to have, one most other kids don't get a chance at. How lucky she was to get such a worldly education!

So she worked hard, did middling well in German public school, learning a new language while trying to also keep up on other studies is difficult. She practiced math at home, and did biology and history units during her vacation. She was growing to hate school. She had to work twice as hard to do half as well.

We decided to put her in a private school this year, where they teach primarily in English. After a battery of tests, they told us they want her to repeat 5thgrade.
Mind you 5th grade in German public school is the beginning of high school. They must go between classes to different classrooms and teachers. At this private school they do it the English way, so 5th grade is still primary school, so back to a single classroom with colored markers, gluesticks, and scissors....and children a year younger than her.

We asked why? We're her test scores so poor? No she did quite well in math and reading comprehension. She needs work in writing but its not poor, just middling. But they said they think she'd do better emotionally, and because she's physically small. No details. She's a bit emotionally immature, by which I mean she likes to play with toys and on the playground as opposed to sit around and gossip. She makes friends easily. She even had friends from other countries over to our house multiple times.

She's extremely discouraged that all of her hard work means nothing. She was terribly excited to get into this new school where they teach in her language. Now she's just back to hating school, and asking us what's the point? She's in her room crying and what can we do except tell her it isn't her fault? We have no recourse. We can put her in german public 6th grade where she'll struggle, or back in 5th grade at this private school for a grand a month to learn shit she already knows. This is our worst fear. No matter what she'll now resent and hate school.

I can only hope she actually finds she enjoys not being challenged. It'll be an easy year for her, doing art, playing, and math she already knows. But she'll still have that tiny resentment, that knowledge that her hard work in school was a complete waste of her time.

I can't even express how upset i am. I would give absolutely anything to get on a plane and go home and put her in 6th grade like she belongs.

I hate this place. It has not been some worldly grand adventure, or even just getting used to something new, but a series of difficulties leading to worse and worse difficulties. I'm sure there have been good things but at this moment with my childs education, one I have personally spent all of my free time on for years, hanging in the balance and going down the shitter.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Aroura - August 10, 2018 at 9:12 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Foxaèr - August 10, 2018 at 9:26 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by I_am_not_mafia - August 10, 2018 at 9:51 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - August 10, 2018 at 10:32 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Alexmahone - August 10, 2018 at 11:28 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Minimalist - August 10, 2018 at 11:57 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - August 10, 2018 at 12:51 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by pocaracas - August 10, 2018 at 10:46 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by brewer - August 10, 2018 at 11:00 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Aroura - August 10, 2018 at 11:48 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Angrboda - August 10, 2018 at 11:49 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Foxaèr - August 10, 2018 at 11:52 am
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Aroura - August 10, 2018 at 12:05 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by I_am_not_mafia - August 10, 2018 at 12:41 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by pocaracas - August 10, 2018 at 12:02 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by pocaracas - August 10, 2018 at 12:32 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by LostLocke - August 10, 2018 at 1:19 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by mlmooney89 - August 10, 2018 at 2:07 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Whateverist - August 10, 2018 at 2:42 pm
RE: Fuck this stupid fucking country - by Aroura - August 10, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driving While Innocent. STUPID ROUND PLANET! Brian37 40 2980 February 8, 2020 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  my experience as non reilgous living in saudi arabia (extremely religious country) hourglass 9 892 December 13, 2019 at 7:43 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid? Der/die AtheistIn 36 2500 March 5, 2019 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama