Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know what this argument is about?
Anyone know what this argument is about?
In the DADT debate, I'm hearing a familiar argument from homophobic conservatives that I'd first heard back in 2004 with the whole gay marriage debates. It goes along the lines of claiming that "history teaches us" that any time a civilization tolerates homosexuality, it's on its way to decline.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heat...dicts-doom

Quote:Gohmert went on to suggest that the House, which today voted to repeal Don’t Ask Don’t Tell 250-175, is opening up the floodgates to a disorganized and ineffective military. According to the Congressman, “when militaries throughout history of the greatest nations in the world have adopted the policy that it’s fine for homosexuality to be overt…they’re toward the end of its existence as a great nation.”

Ignoring the logical fallacy of the spurious assumption that correlation = causation, can anyone tell me what this allegation is even based on? I'm not aware of any homophobic great civilizations that fell into decline after lifting its taboo. In fact, I can think of one prominent counter-example. Rome was a thriving pagan/gay-friendly empire that collapsed after its embrace of Christianity.

I've never actually debated with anyone who used this argument so I haven't had the chance to ask for specific examples. Anyone else know?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
Anyone know what this argument is about? - by DeistPaladin - December 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Minimalist - December 17, 2010 at 2:15 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Justtristo - December 17, 2010 at 7:48 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Minimalist - December 17, 2010 at 11:44 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Minimalist - December 19, 2010 at 3:10 am
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Anomalocaris - December 17, 2010 at 11:55 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Shell B - December 18, 2010 at 12:12 am
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Minimalist - December 18, 2010 at 1:01 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by downbeatplumb - December 18, 2010 at 11:39 am
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Minimalist - December 19, 2010 at 2:14 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by technophobe - December 19, 2010 at 1:35 pm
RE: Anyone know what this argument is about? - by Ubermensch - December 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know who Michael Savage is? NuclearEnergy 14 4040 May 28, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Anyone know the reason all that missile footage was released so quickly? NuclearEnergy 7 1068 April 9, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  So just out of curiousity: anyone know how Trump is going to make America Great NuclearEnergy 35 4293 January 21, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Does anyone know how to do this? Ziploc Surprise 9 3870 May 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise