Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype
RE: Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype
(June 14, 2019 at 6:22 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(June 14, 2019 at 4:39 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: It’s a good analogy, thank you. 

Thank you!

It's all a bit counterintuitive for us moderns, I think. Not because science has disproved it, but because our use of the word "cause" has narrowed over the last 1000 years or so. For Aristotelians, if A is necessary for B to exist, A can be called a cause. Even if it takes no action. 

Quote:I agree that actions in the absence of space-time would be an interesting topic for discussion.

This is also a tricky part of the argument. 

It's essential for Aristotle that the First Cause takes no action. 

It is eternally unchanging, actus purus, entirely without potential for change. It is called a cause not because it reaches down and pushes something, but because (they argue) it has to be there for even space-time to exist. 

Another way to say it is that the First Cause is existence itself. Not a thing that exists, but existence. Without it -- without existence -- there would obviously be nothing.

You said the First Cause is not a thing, but then you go on to say, “without it.”  What is existence then, if it isn’t a thing? Do you mean to say, ‘without the potential for things to exist?’ If so, what are the preconditions necessary for anything at all to exist? I believe that it is logically contradictory to describe “nothing” as a potential alternative to “something”, because “nothing”, by definition, cannot be.  Not trying to be difficult, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what is meant by the First Cause, and I’m no philosopher, lol.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype - by LadyForCamus - June 15, 2019 at 11:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 244 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89511 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground? lowellwballard 21 1816 May 13, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 16191 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Facetime/skype Drich 43 3935 May 25, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3385 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3394 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 24164 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8366 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9739 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne