Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype
RE: Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype
(June 16, 2019 at 6:11 pm)SenseMaker007 Wrote:
(June 15, 2019 at 11:27 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: You said the First Cause is not a thing, but then you go on to say, “without it.”  What is existence then, if it isn’t a thing? Do you mean to say, ‘without the potential for things to exist?’ If so, what are the preconditions necessary for anything at all to exist? I believe that it is logically contradictory to describe “nothing” as a potential alternative to “something”, because “nothing”, by definition, cannot be.  Not trying to be difficult, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what is meant by the First Cause, and I’m no philosopher, lol.

The idea of there being a such thing as something that isn't a thing ... makes zero sense to me. Even people are living things. Numbers are abstract things. "It's a cause not a thing!" ... just seems like nonsense. If it's not a thing then it can't do anything ... including causing stuff. And how could a non-thing interact with things? And isn't a non-thing, well ... nothing?

(June 14, 2019 at 6:22 pm)Belaqua Wrote: Not a thing that exists, but existence. Without it -- without existence -- there would obviously be nothing. 

There's nothing more real than the totality of existence itself. It's more likely that the separation of one thing from another is an illusion* .... than that existence itself isn't a thing. Existence HAS  to be a thing ... or it wouldn't exist. It would be nothing.

There are sound reasons to believe in a first cause ... but there are no sound reasons to believe that that first cause has a personality.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monad_(philosophy)

^^^ but without the "divine being" aspect.

If you look at Griffith's proof above, QM implies that the Universe is eternal, without beginning or end.  It just IS.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype - by Jehanne - June 16, 2019 at 11:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 246 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89526 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian Libertarians and Atheists - Common Ground? lowellwballard 21 1818 May 13, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 16191 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Facetime/skype Drich 43 3935 May 25, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3385 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3395 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 24241 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8390 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9750 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne